Long Reef kings and flatties

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Report from todays trip, the plan was to fish long reef for kings and snapper but only managed to tangle with the kings.

Conditions seemed good as i rounded north head around 7am, passed by 3 schools of sambos on the surface and had to battle the urge to throw a lure in.

Arrived at long reef shortly after and threw out two Rapala deep divers, first pass resulted in a double hook up of rat kings approx 40cm and 50cm, Did a couple of more passes for another single rat king around 50cm. No legal ones for me today but i did see a couple of blokes hooked up to what were surely legal kings including one poor fella on a kayak who was battling it out for almost 15 mins. looks like hard work from a kayak especially with some chop around.

The weather quickly deteriorated and i barely had any time to choose my next location, swell and chop was rolling in and some were about 2.5m high.

I had to tuck tail n run and fast, slow uncomfortable ride back to sydney harbour i stopped on the southern end of curl curl beach on the way where there was a little shelter from the wind.

Rigged up for flathead, first half an hour nothing then suddenly both rods start bouncing and bring up two flatties ( not sure of the species as this is first time i catch this color, im guessing blue spot?). marked the spot and stayed another hour drifting over it hoping and waiting for the conditions to ease a little. Ended up with 7 flatties going from just legal to around 45cm.Also released about half a dozen not legals. All fish caught on pillies. The conditions eased up a little and i made my way back in around 1230.

The flatties will be turned into some nice fillets for lunch tomorrow yum cant wait :)

Thanks for reading and hope everyone had a good day

post-34022-0-88274300-1445068812_thumb.jpg

Flathead is sensational.. What lurez were you trolling and where abouts? Long reef is a large area is that right? Looking to hit it soon.

Thanks all for your comments

farvos - I'm no expert about long reef as ive only been there a couple of times, but I can tell you that there is a very small peninsula that is long reef beach.

water depth around this area north south and east of the peninsula is generally 10-15m for about 600-700m in all directions from the peninsula eventually dropping off quite steeply to about 20-25m. most people are fishing the ledge between 10-20m and when you get there you cant miss it, the boats will all be congregated around this area . theres still plenty of fish in the reefy areas in the 10-15m depth. just have to find them.

sorry if i haven't been much help. lures were xrap magnum in pilchard and XMAS tree