Busted Off by a Harbour King

Ocean Addiction

With a bit of time up my sleeve yesterday morning (and completely disregarding WillyWeather for the more favourable forecast on Seabreeze) I decided to head out on the harbour for a few hours.

First stop was around the Snails Bay area where I spotted some salmon boiling on the surface. Spent a while chasing them around with a couple of promising follows but no cigar.

Plan B (well actually plan A before I saw the salmon) was to throw some lures around the channel markers for kingfish. I tried a few spots west of the Bridge including some of the buoys and fixed post markers. At one of the post markers a decent king grabbed my SugaPen. He played with me for a while... I was actually getting a bit excited that I was in with a chance here. Then he decided play time was over and effortlessly towelled me up on the post. Goodbye SugaPen...

I tried a few more markers before going back to the salmon that were still at it. This time I tried a tiny clear stickbait which resulted in a few more follows and boils but no hook-ups. I was kicking myself that I considered bringing the fly rod but decided at the last minute to leave it behind. That brought us to lunchtime and I was hungry so packed up and went home.

Overall it was very pleasant out there yesterday, only 4 trailers at the ramp, just a wee bit of rain and not too much wind or chop.

David

Hey mate what size sugapen in the sinking or floating? That's twice I've heard reports of kings caught on them!

It was a 70 floating sugapen in a clear/natural prawn colour. Works well on everything from bream, whiting, salmon, tailor and apparently kingfish have a liking for them too (-:

David