Braid and leader for kings?

Fishing_Maniac

Mate where i fish off the rocks i use 40lb power pro braid, and 60lb Flurocarbon leader i use an fg knot to connect the two.

Rod is a 9ft daiwa demon blood with a 8000 saragossa.

If im getting follows but fish arent taking the bait ill drop to a lighter leader.

but generally go alright on em

Jesso

Guest Guest123456789

If the leader is too heavy you will definitely spook the fish and catch buggar all. I'd rather go too light, get bust offs and then progressively go heavier than go too heavy and not get a touch.

Guest Guest123456789

What size leader do you use mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive caught them once and that was in deep water 100 metres. We were using 30lbs braid and 40 lbs fluro. That was a hot bite and I think they would have hit bare hooks attached to a rope that day.

I'm going to start targeting them from land. Based on Krispy's advice I will start with light leader, 10 lbs. I fully expect to get busted off, at which point I'll ramp it up to 16lbs, then 20lbs then 30 and so on. The braid I'll be using is 20lbs, I have a back up 30 lbs if I need, and I have seen massive 1+ metre kings caught on 30lbs braid - will be more than enough.

Just based on what I've experienced/witnessed and been told: you can go as low as 6-8 lb leader with 6-10 lb braid (not saying it's advisable, but it can be done). The trick isn't using heavier line, it's about making sure your knots are tied correctly and learning the structure where you are, as well as the best positions to stand/ways of angling the rod to keep the fish away from anything they can bust you off on. It's also about playing the fish in open water, letting it tire itself before you give it the stick, rather than automatically trying to skull-drag it in.

Best advice I can offer is always take a net and go fishing with a mate who can help out on awkward netting duties (often difficult at wharves- might mean going down ladders): I've lost a fish or two by trying to lift kings that seemed knackered, only for them to kick at the death and come off the hook or bust the leader.

Whichever way you go, good luck. Look forward to a report. :)