Sydney Harbour.

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

I have written way too many reports on Sydney Harbour when I have had completely capable writers on board my boat! Today I'm going to leave it to Mark to do the honours! :thumbup:

I will put these pics, and he can fill you all in!

post-4-1128142811_thumb.jpg

post-4-1128142832_thumb.jpg

post-4-1128142863_thumb.jpg

Hello Fellow Raiders,

The pictures tell the story on the fishing front i.e. we did not see many fish but plenty of nice scenery!

Both Joe and I had afternoon commitments so an early start was called for. Out of bed at 3:1yikes: at Joe's for 4 and we were the first boat at Rose bay ramp a little before 5am.

The plan was to get some squid and turn them into Kingies. with sambos as the reliable stand by..... Well you have to have a plan

Balmoral was our first stop and my first cast saw a lovely bite size squid become the first occupant of the bait tank. Things looked promising but as luck would have it we could not raise any more so after a quick hello to Alexit and his missus we proceeded across Balmoral bay to try some more weed beds for nil :thumbdown:

Just prior to moving to the heads to see if the sambos were still around eagle eye Joe spotted some bird action in Balmoral so we got close to the action and threw a few lures in the general vicinity, result: two legal tailor which joined the squid in the bait tank.

We motored to between the heads and had a quick squizz for the sambos, not much happening and with a bit of wind and a strong current we decided to head back inside. Anchored up at Dobroyd (?) and dropped our livies down for Senor King to join the party. With Byrons report still fresh in my mind I had good hopes for the squid and before long I got a take, a tussle and a good old fashioned reefing.

I'm becoming quite the expert at dropping big fish :ranting2:

Joe's live got similar treatment shortly after and with that we decided to head to middle harbour for stand by #3 Jewies :thumbup:

JJsydney showed up (nice to meet you John) and we kept in contact through the morning. From all accounts the squid were equally non cooperative for John and he had to go to plan #2 also, how did you go John?

On our way to middle harbour we encountered a number of pods of Dolphins who were amusing themselves in Balmoral. We did likewise and got some happy snaps and generally were in awe of these friendly creatures.

All of that general niceness was knocked on the head when Joe rightly pointed out that we were carrying on like a pair of wusses :074: so with that bombshell we collected ourselves and continued to middle harbour only to be hailed by a runabout at anchor whose Yamaha had blown and needed a tow to Tunks. Joe generously obliged and 30-40 minutes later we got the boat and two occupants safely to the ramp.

This had eaten into our Jewie time so instead we decided that we would don our bream fisho hats and try around some moored boats and around the old ship wreck. Once we had the etiquitte decided i.e. who would stand in what part of the boat :074: we had a few half hearted flicks and the bream were equally half hearted and the result was ziperoo :thumbdown: Maybe we should have to done what the guy in the picture did and tow some portable structure with us :thumbup:

Net result for the day was not much in terms of fish but a great day on the harbour nonetheless. Many thanks Joe :thumbup:

Cheers

Mark

Edited by MarkD

Hello Fellow Raiders,

Hi Mark, Jo

Well the squid were not really wanting to play the be someone elses food game, flicked for 2hr's in 8 different spots for none,

Then a cpl of trolls round washes with my never fail talior lure only to dispell that trueism.

Hooked up a gulp and flick some structure ont he way bacl to Roseville in a half hearted way was hot and tired by then, home with nothing to eat and nothing to pretend was bigger than it really was LOL

Well out tomorrow again and see what it brings going to head to Pittwater, anyone else going? and might have a place.

Jon

Guest Jocool

Just a couple of points/queries for those more knowledgable about Middle Harbour....

What is that wreck at the back of the bay near Tunks? Does anyone know the history of it? Has anyone pulled any good fish out of it? As Mark mentioned, we saw quite a few bruisers cruising inside the wreck but they weren't interested in our offerings! Added to that was a HUGE fantail leathery that just would not be enticed. Even when I tried knocking it on the head with a jig! :wacko:

Has anyone sounded out the area just east of the Spit bridge? Am I the only one that thinks it would be an awesome Jew hole in the right conditions, i.e moon and tide times?

There are some pretty awesome drop-offs and series of ledges and holes that would really warrant a night time attack me thinks. :thumbup:

Good report Mark and nice picks Joe. Nice to put a face to you too Mark.

I must say that we did no better than you guys. The squid just were not to be found! Rach got a small cuttlefish.... jellybean king size... but it was set free as she has a soft spot for these amazing creatures and I was not even going to mention putting a hook in him and feeding to the depths :1prop:

We looked outside North Head for a bit for nill salmon....they seem to have the one day on, one day off thing happening :mad3: The wind soon picked up so we worked back to the spit , pulled up a moring and put down two outfits baited with an old frozen squid I got many moons ago. My hopes were not high but it was a nice spot for some mid morning zzz's....only to be woken when Rachs rod was hit :biggrin2: She handled it like the pro she is fast becoming even comenting that there was a lot of weight, but it was no king. I was hoping jew jew jew but up came a half decent shovelnose :1prop: A nice distraction anyway.

As far as middle harbour Joe, I am aware of quite a few deep (and shallow!) water jew spots that produce at the right times.....not first hand you must know...but I have been keeping my ear to the ground and my eyes open over the last 18 months I have been frequenting the area. I think it may be time for me to start looking into putting the hours in to finding out first hand :thumbup:

The wreck in Salt Pan Creek has never been really good to me dispite many visits. There are really a few old wreaks in there so be carefull in the upper reach. From memory I think the boats were all scuttled there.... though I may be wrong.

Have you ever thought of launching from Tunks rather that RB Joe? Much better and less hectic ramp and a lot quicker than RB from my place at Enmore. I can make Enmore to Tunks in 15mins sans traffic.

alex

Guest Jocool
Have you ever thought of launching from Tunks rather that RB Joe? Much better and less hectic ramp

alex

70207[/snapback]

I was just today, contemplating that as a serious option. I more often than not end up in that area of the Harbour, (Balmoral, North Head, Bluefish) So I may just make that my next jump point! :biggrin2:

.........continued to middle harbour only to be hailed by a runabout at anchor whose Yamaha had blown and needed a tow to Tunks. Joe generously obliged and 30-40 minutes later we got the boat and two occupants safely to the ramp.

Cheers

Mark

70174[/snapback]

Great report there fella's. :thumbup:

I was listening to "Hi-Tide" this morning and the bloke who you gave a tow to rang up to talk to Schuey and Keiran and said a thousand thankyou's to the captain of "Jiggin' Joe".

Good onya Joe. :thumbup:

cheers

Hooky

Guest Jocool

Paul, it's nothing I wouldn't normally do, or expect for myself in times of distress! :biggrin2: We are all in it together. And its not like you can easily call a tow truck out in the middle of the Harbour. :thumbup:

G Day Joe went out today with the ball and chain for a little R an R of shelly and you wouldnt of thought that tunks was a quite ramp at all, abousolute chaos with a thousand idots thrown in summer has surley started. The wreck you mention is an

old coal loader I think but I may be wrong. There is a fantastic tackle thief hiding in its bowels and Im fairly sure its a black cod. I have seen the odd one taken there but if anyone manages to get him out please let him go. The large hole east of the spit is a fantastic jewie hole and an even better king hole but its hard to fish as you cant anchor in the channel and the morings mean that fish reef you very easily, and as soon as boat traffic gets up forget it. There are even better holes near by and when we meet up Ill share the wealth with you. Cheers Phil

You can if you are a well known charter operator.  I watched him anchor right in the middle and pick up a nice jew.

70432[/snapback]

Nice for some! I dont think Mr MaGill would be quite so confident with the captain cook bearing down on him

The positive side is at least you guys can find the fish and always seem to turn a reel. Its better to have hooked up and lost than to never hooked up at all as shakespear would say if he was a fisherman. :074:

I'm sure this season will be the one when we see that happy snap of the 20kg Kingfish to accompany the jewfish snap shot. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Good luch guys.

Must be something about a long weekend for boats to break down. I saw four boats undertow on Sunday in Pittwater. Water Police x 1, Coastal Patrol x 2 and a kind hearted soul doing some one a favour.