Aux outboard fitting to Aluminium Boat

fisherman666

Hi all,

I have recently bought an older Stacer 4.5m CC with 50hp 2 stroke. An oldy but a goody. 1.9 m beam and fairly deep hull. It passed it's first water test last week with flying colours but any second hand motor is always a bit of an unknown right. [Correction, any motor can die at any time if Murphy is with you]. This motor is a 1997 Force "By Mercury marine"

Taking it to the NT next month (moving there permanently for work) and I am gonna get me a barra of course. Maybe even a million dollar fish. That would be nice :banana:

Some of the fishing I'll be doing will be remote river work, long kays, and no marine rescue etc. So I plan to fit my trusty suzuki 8 to make me feel warm and fuzzy. Safety with the snapping handbags is a big factor here too.

I have an old aux bracket which is made of hot dipped gal steel. I plan to rebuild it by fitting new gal bolts and a good clean and paint. Maybe new springs if I can find some. SS bolts through the transom though of course.

First question Is it a no-no to have the gal against the transom? Galvanic corrosion right? What would you insulate with? A chopping board? Ply? How thick?

Second question How do I brace the inside of the transom? I was thinking to do it like in this photo I found on google (photo of f/glass boat). Have two ally angles vertically inside right up against the transom. Should I have it welded in there top and bottom OR will just the aux bracket bolts (4 of) do the job to spread the load?

Or should I angle back to the fuel tank holding frame on the floor? I want this setup to be trailerable. I could do this on the starboard side (preferred) but not port side as my in-use fuel tank goes port side.

Third question I want to fit the engine to starboard side. Is this OK? I know I am making life hard for myself as the anchor light will need to be moved and also the finder/transducer is starboard. Minor issues though as the it will clear the transducer and I can always move the light. I just imagine it would be hard to turn right with the motor port side. Just picture me hanging outside of the boat over the crocs. I want to avoid any part of me outside of the boat of course.

Fourth question Is this set up OK to be trailerable. I will fit a spring to the lowering handle of the aux bracket. This way it can't drop down whilst trailering.

I am good with the tools and have access to a good workshop just want to get it right first time. There is just so much to consider to get this right first time.

Any good advice out there?

post-23818-0-45117700-1446631375_thumb.jpg post-23818-0-45758300-1446631393_thumb.jpg

post-23818-0-76881200-1446631408_thumb.jpg post-23818-0-81589500-1446631421_thumb.jpg

Marine ply is sufficient enough & cheap ... I would also recommend using a thick piece (19mm)between your internal bracing just to help spread the load . The mounting of the auxiliary is all up to whether your right handed or left ... You could use chopping board on the outside only as it won't rot ......

Great big washers under the nut and bot head as this also spreads the load onto the backing plate. Hot dipped in parrafin wax before installation and torqued down helps prevent corrosion at the interfaces between the materials. Non corrosive silicon can also be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk