How Do You Measure Litres In A Tank

AdamK

I have a new live bait tank project on the way soon. Just trying to work out sizes but can't seem to calculate correctly.

How do you measure the litres capacity of an object. Is it length x width divide by the height

this formula just doesnt seem to match up for the pre made stuff in the shops

example 1 box is 570x425x455 which is a 70L and another is 740x480x480 which is a 62L, quite obvious the 2nd box is bigger yet less in litres

so, what should 580x500x500 equate to in litres

Adam

G'day Adam, zeb's on the mark.

For 580x500x500, you can break it down to cm's which then becomes 58x50x50.

Which = (LxWxH)/1000 = 145l.

Remember that the tanks won't actually hold this much once you add your inlet and outlet pipes.

As for the other two examples, I'm not sure how they come to those capacities.

zeb is right,

V=LxWxH

Your first box im guessing has the outside dimensions otherwise it would be over 100l not the 70l you state and the second one is around 170L so im guessing they are outside dimensions with thick walls and lid etc which actually eat into the volume

Ie if the second box had 30mm walls and a 30mm lid and base its internal volume suddenly is only 120L a reduction of 50L but with you saying its only 62L they must be some super thick walls or base.........

Adam, what are you making your box out of?

I just made a couple of boxes out of ply! :yikes: They look ugly...but work. I know wood isnt ideal, but I had a couple of sheets of ply floating around and it only cost me for the resin and screws!

The first I sheathed in Fiberglass for strength and for waterproofing. But the second one I am going to seal with some Marine grade lacquer.

I have been looking at the same project for my boat, currently has a live tank built into a large box with cutting board on the top ( takes up to much space ). Yesterday I was at the hardware shop and was looking at storm water sump pits, one of the ones I saw was 300x300x600 and quite sturdy all it needs is a lid

145 litres  :yikes:  Geez Adam what are you using for live bait  :-rod  6kg Stripies ?

Ken...the tank I'm building will be 180 lt internally. Will be less when you factor in inlet and overflow pipes. Probably be about 160! :nana:

But I'm doing it as a livewell, not a bait tank! With the middle baffle removed it should hold bigger baits if need be. :nana: :nana: 4KG stripies big enough to get me a beakie??? :yikes:

thanks for the comments fellas. They are all correct calculations. I called the boat box company who gave me a different calculation but end results are same

I only need about 80-100Ltrs so will work it out accordingly

thanks for the replies

Joe, I am getting one made up for me by an aluminium fabricator. It will be a seat aswell as a tank for the centre console I have

Adam