Every pinkie snapper in Cowan Creek

jgrant666

Hi raiders,

Went out with the Mrs for a session this morning in Cowan Creek. Launched at first light in apple tree Bay and arrived at waratah Bay just on high tide. Got a good burley trail going and soon we were on to qa bunch of pinkie snapper. All were WAY under size except for one that was borderline legal, but I decided to put back to be safe.

About 2hrs in and no decent takers so moved on to a spot across from cottage point (near those funny flat rocks jutting up out of the river. Sent down my paternoster rig and just as I'm baiting up my second rod it goes off, and I managed to land a nice 25cm bream. Stayed there for about an hour catching more pinkies till the wind picked up and started us dragging the anchor so time to move again. Headed round to pinto Bay to get out of the wind, again got our burley on but all we could catch was, you guessed it, more pinkies! (seriously we must have caught at least 30 of the little buggers throughout the morning.....) I did manage a small squid though which I'll save for a nice bait next time.

Still it was a lovely morning out without the kids and I'll enjoy a nice bream fillet for dinner! Pretty much everything caught on chicken gut, very little interest in squid prawns or pilly, I assume due to all the rain recently. Downsized to a size 4 longshank in the hope of picking up a couple of leatherjackets but no luck there

The Mrs took this from the boat and the perspective is a bit weird and makes both me and Mr bream look smaller than we are.....

post-37236-14469589846524_thumb.jpg

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Seriously though what is it with the pinkie snapper????? Most predominant fish I've caught by far, must be the time of year or something. Even managed to foul hook one through the belly! No idea how that happened, bet itvwas more embarrassed than I was though ;-)

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Was out with my Son this morning, launched from Appletree also, and pulled up to a mooring in Waratah bay while you were anchored near the mouth of the bay. I know what you mean about the pinkies, we boated a fair few also, all undersize unfortunately so back they went. They seem to pull hard for their size, a few times I though we'd managed to snag a legal one, but not to be.

I remember passing you also while you were at those strange looking rocks near Cottage point. We fished a bay opposite Jerusalem bay for some undersize whiting, tailor and bream. Great to be spending some quality time with the little Man, but some keepers would have been even better.

By 10 am we'd had enough of the wind so headed home. Next time I see you out and about I'll be sure to come say g'day

Was out with my Son this morning, launched from Appletree also, and pulled up to a mooring in Waratah bay while you were anchored near the mouth of the bay. I know what you mean about the pinkies, we boated a fair few also, all undersize unfortunately so back they went. They seem to pull hard for their size, a few times I though we'd managed to snag a legal one, but not to be.

I remember passing you also while you were at those strange looking rocks near Cottage point. We fished a bay opposite Jerusalem bay for some undersize whiting, tailor and bream. Great to be spending some quality time with the little Man, but some keepers would have been even better.

By 10 am we'd had enough of the wind so headed home. Next time I see you out and about I'll be sure to come say g'day

By all means, please do pop over and say G'Day next time, it'd be nice to start putting some faces to names from this site! I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one getting totally frustrated with the bloody pinkies too (though not glad that you didn't catch anything for the table of course......). I'm thinking I might head back out to the hawkesbury proper next trip though, just to try and get away from all the damned pinkies! Really want to get into some nice good sized bream or a few flatties......

Those little snapper are very annoying

but they grow to big snapper one day :):)

Too true, although they tend to bugger off out to sea from what I've read so they'll keep annoying me in the river then probably won't even get to catch ione once they get to a decent size :ranting2:

Sorry to hear about your trip out mate . I think that every Fisho at some stage has experienced similar thing at some stage or another , at least we know it's a healthy Nursery . Hang in there mate things get only get better from here on .....

Sorry to hear about your trip out mate . I think that every Fisho at some stage has experienced similar thing at some stage or another , at least we know it's a healthy Nursery . Hang in there mate things get only get better from here on .....

thanks mate, it was still fun to get out on the water (and out of mobile range!) for the morning, and some of the little buggers put up a pretty tough fight for their size! Hopefully their bigger cousins will start to come out of hiding when the water warms up a bit more. A week of solid decent weather should do it hopefully......

I have to tell you all the huge bream are at Bobbin Head marina. There are massive bream, sea mullet and kingfish there at the moment. Trouble is if you get sprung fishing in there it is bit of a problem as it is declared a marine sanctuary.

Edited by harold

I have to tell you all the huge bream are at Bobbin Head marina. There are massive bream, sea mullet and kingfish there at the moment. Trouble is if you get sprung fishing in there it is bit of a problem as it is declared a marine sanctuary.

sneaky handline maybe? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...