Heading to Port Stephens (Tea Garden) need advice

elferoz777

Before i posted I did hit up the search function but wanted some specific advice for the Tea garden area.

Are there any productive breakwalls, jetties or other spots to fish?

I would like to spin for tailor or other pelagics if possible....alternatively I could go for a good blackfish or even bream bash.

Going with my sons who usually dont join me on the local outings here in Wollongong.

Any spots/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve,

I haven't spent much time fishing tea gardens (landbased) but a few areas worth a try.

Jimmys beach would be one. You can get whiting and bream there. Opposite there where the park is, sorry don't know the name, fish the estuary right along up to the short cut for Flatty and bream. Or underneath the bridge when the tide slows your a chance of a Jew. Might be worth hiring a tinny if you get the chance. There's some great little nooks and crannys around that area to fish. Drifting the oyster racks you are almost guaranteed a feed of flatties! Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Steve,

I haven't fished Hawks Nest/Tea Gardens for many years, what a magical spot. As well as the areas pointed out by Scratchie, head over to Hawks Nest and wonder down to the beach in front of the surf club. Should be able to spot some great gutters for tailor, bream, whiting etc. On the river side, head to the Hawks Nest Boat Ramp. The ramp is on Binda St where you can park. There are some low oyster encrusted walls there and along Moira Pde where you can catch good blackfish and bream. Plenty of flathead a bit deeper also. If you drive to the southern end of Beach Rd Hawks nest there is a short walking track to Jimmy's Beach for good whiting, flathead. Drive to the end of The Boulevarde and you can park and take a short walk to a bit of a backwater of the Myall River with some great sand flats and weed beds which are dynamite for flathead on soft plastics. Just make sure you check out the sanctuary zones first as I've not fished these areas since the Marine Park started. Most if not all of these areas are family friendly and even some great spots for a picnic. Have fun and hope you catch a heap. Cheers............

Dave