Drove a BOAT! Fun Fun Fun (PICS)

Jay88

Hey All,

Hope everyones having a great weekend! Because I surely did! I got my boat licence (theory) done on Thursday and Mick was kind enough to take me out to do my log book and practical!

So 5am Saturday morning we headed out on the Georges, Mick started showing me from the get go on how to lower boats into the water, how to secure them and etc.

He got me driving from the get go, and suddenly just goes "we going out to Botany Bay" (I was like wtf for a bit lol). But somehow I managed to get it to Botany...safe...alive. The wind picked up a bit and...VERY embarrassed to say this...I was kind of feeling light headed out of no where... this is my 2nd time on a boat, and first time we did not go as far. So we decided to go back to a bit calmer waters.

So while being in a passenger seat for a bit trying to pull through, I noticed birds diving into the water...and PROUD to say...that my sickness...what sickness?!? Mick follows the bust up...first cast...he is on to a legal tailor...I got one (nothing to fancy lol), we chased the bust up around a bit, and ended up with 4 legal tailor (caught by Mick). I dropped 2, and had to re-rig 3 times with big tailors smashing my 8lb leader into shreds, causing me to lose a couple of SP and a slug. Pretty disappointed as it took me a while to re-rig with the excitement around.

After that, we drifted around Botany again to try for some flathead and bream...as the Georges was completely dead...while drifting, Mick's on! And on light gear, we thought it was a BIG flathead...but then when it took line again, I was kinda thinking Jew... But we were like no where close to any tide change, and this was middle of the day... still debating...

Next minute.. a FLASH OF SILVER...and yep...Mick lands his FIRST JEW ON A VIBE LURE! Bycatch jew eh...only if that happened always when I chase Flatty or Bream? Yeah ill keep dreaming.

Just as I was about to drive further up the river, I hooked onto a small flathead and that was it from my end. He let me drive up the river again, and allowed me to put the boat on the trailer. All in all, was an amazing day. Don't really care if I caught a jew or not, but happy a friend did! Well done Mick and thanks again for letting me do donuts on your boat (I joke I joke). All released besides 3 Tailor.

post-36918-0-43180700-1448745642_thumb.jpg

post-36918-0-29044100-1448745651_thumb.jpg

post-36918-0-51547600-1448745900_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jay88

no worries mate, hope you enjoyed the driving, keen to buy a boat now hahahaha?

very unexpected to catch the mulloway pup, but i'll take it, the first on a soft vibe, and first with the expensive combo hahaha (was starting to think i had purchased a really expensive flathead combo)

Edited by mii11x

Nice work guys, Jay, when are you picking up the boat LOL

Seriously though going for a run on different boats is going to help you decide what to buy.

I wish I did that when I got my license!!!

Congrats on the vibe jewwie too thats awesome guys!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Nice work guys, Jay, when are you picking up the boat LOL

Seriously though going for a run on different boats is going to help you decide what to buy.

I wish I did that when I got my license!!!

Congrats on the vibe jewwie too thats awesome guys!!!

Regards,

Nathan

haha I would today if I could. Had a discussion with the family. I think ill pay of my car first in 6 months or so, and instead of buying a tinny as the original plan was, I might go for a decent runabout :P ooo dayum! :P Something a bit more stable and family friendly. I like fishing with mates, so would give them a chance to chill with me as well :D

good idea, probably better to buy a boat in winter too as people usually try to cash up around that time aswell so there will be a few on the market.

you may also wanna practise reversing trailers too because it will help you in the long run especially if you decide on a bigger boat

Regards,

Nathan

Jay buy what you want mate, not for your mates to be with you..........When I bought my boat, all my mates said "anytime you want to go fishing call me/i'll come with you whenever".......Including yourself now, I fish with maybe three mates regularly. If you can get yourself on a boat with a full windscreen and canopy, try plastics fishing from it - it can be done, but for me its a pain in the arse - I am just used to my open console boat now and like the space to move freely. All depends on what your using it for.......I knew I would use plastics heaps and heaps as opposed to bait fishing so bought a boat with that in mind. If I want to bait fish I am uncovered thats all, which gets bloody hot in summer, though I just plan my trips with bait to be finished by 11am. Stop in at some boat dealers, there are plenty out your way, just tell em your keen on purchasing next year and want to get a feel of the different types, they will help you out, jump on them and get a feel for it - if they dont let you, just walk out of there as they must not need your business.

I do agree with Nathan, if your buying second hand definitely wait till winter, go to the Rosehill boat show next year for a show special like mine if buying new.....actually I think they have changed the name to Sydney trailer boat show.

Your spending the coin, so its for you not anyone else. I bought a boat that suits me any nobody else. I can get it in and out of the water myself and I'm not reliant on anyone else to help with cleanup or prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

Im the same as Ric001, I would never let anyone help me wash either of my cars, or my boat, they would just do a shit job and I would have to do it again. Jay you saw how easy it was to retrieve at the end of our session, I would be confident to launch and retrieve a larger boat than mine now