Help transducer concerns

shakey55

Having recently bought a 2000 model Seafarer V-Sea I going to update sounder etc.

I want to install an Airmar P79 transducer (In hull).

Is there anyone here that has a V-Sea that has the same transducer installed

If so where did you install (pics would be excellent).

There is currently an old lowrance sounder only and there is an in hull transducer.

Would I be safe to remove the old transducer and in stall the P79 in the same location.

One other concern I have is that directly under the transducer on the outside bottom of the hull is what appears to be a rubber seal/plug.

I have called Seafarer (Haines) and they do not have anyone working for then now that worked for Sesfarer (at least that is what I was told).

I know this is a strange one but any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

6ba7ec510df3631e406b6bccb603a5ca.jpg

7defb57be7d8c75d55ab75f6bf8ea615.jpg

5e3f08800268e7c5a91f4d088a2e051a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate,

You sure that is a rubber seal/plug? I have the Seafarer Victory. I have the Airmar P319 fitted. The rubber seal/plug is the transducer unless I am miss understanding something.

Thanks locodave. I've been doing as much research as I can and I think your correct.

If this is correct do you know if it would be much of a job to replace it with a more up to date thru the hull transducer.

It currently attached to an old Lowrance X-65 Finder.

I have purchased a Garmin 75sv to replace the Lowrance X-65

Did you install your own or have someone else do it.

I know I could leave it and put an in the hull transducer somewhere else, but as there is a thru the hull transducer there I'm now thinking I may as well update and replace.

The old transducer I'm guessing is around 15 years old and I don't think it would be any good for the new Garmin 75sv

What are your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

I left mine as is. Mine is a 2005 model so I can live with it. I bought a new Lowrance Gen 3 and I am not fussed that id doesn't have chirp, down scan or side scan.

I did purchase the updated thru hull transducer for it, but they are designed differently and If I was going to change it, the new base of the thru hull would of gone over my runners along the hull. Would of looked horrible. So I decided to keep mine.

I would of done it myself with a lot of swearing :P as I think it will be hard getting the sikaflex off.

Me personally, I would use it too, I wouldn't go mounting a transducer on the back when you have a thru hull.

Did you find that much water in your thru hull box?

This boat although a 2000 model V-Sea and you may find hard to believe is from the original owner (an older bloke who bought it to use with his kids and grand kids and none were interested) and only has 120 hours. It's like a brand new boat.

Back to your question, if you mean the recessed area accessible through the floor, well no it was bone dry, but the boats hasn't been in the water for nearly two years.

After I bought it I took it to my marine mechanic and he tells me it's like a brand new motor. I was lucky enough to get a real bargain.

Although hard to tell there doesn't look like there has been water in there.

Are you asking this to see if it has leaked ?

Just from your photo of the Thru Hull box looks like the yellow in there is water that's all.

Mate that is a real bargain. I scored a venus, same hull as yours with 80 hours. Boat was like new. Pretty much one owner, just passed down the family but the guy never used it.

One I have now is like new too. 120 hours and two owners. Staying with me for a long time I hope! Great boats!

Just from your photo of the Thru Hull box looks like the yellow in there is water that's all.

Mate that is a real bargain. I scored a venus, same hull as yours with 80 hours. Boat was like new. Pretty much one owner, just passed down the family but the guy never used it.

One I have now is like new too. 120 hours and two owners. Staying with me for a long time I hope! Great boats!

The yellow in the box is resin (I think)

The yellow in the box is resin (I think)

Locodave I have just measured and I have a flat area where the current thru hull transducer is and I have only about 68mm.

If I was to replace it with an Airmar P319 (bronze) or the B117 (plastic) the outer flange on both measures 75mm.

Can you see any problem with filing 3mm off to sides if the outer flange to ensure it sits properly and doesn't hang over ?

The flange itself has a 12mm rim

This is my one. If i was to run the new bronze thru hull that will allow down vision, it will stick out on the sides as the new design is different. This is why i just stayed with mine.

Can you post some pics of yours like i took of mine?

post-2301-0-36759100-1449217745_thumb.jpg

post-2301-0-51155600-1449217755_thumb.jpg

This is my one. If i was to run the new bronze thru hull that will allow down vision, it will stick out on the sides as the new design is different. This is why i just stayed with mine.

I'll grab a pic or two tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on filing down two sides about 3mm to make the P319 sit flat without hanging over the edge.

Hi buddy. I remeasured this morning and the V-Sea has a smaller area than the Viking.

With a little bit of adjustment I think I cans make this hole work.

I will contact Airmar in Monday and see what they say about shaving a couple of mm off to make it fit.

One can only try.

78a4eb578c60c7c0b836287b7a2cc786.jpg

7dd36195a6e46fac23f3d0377cfbff01.jpg

04bcde735a79e2417f0f70f8dc65c809.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk