Rosebay Yakkas

Fishing_Maniac

The yakka search has been dire over this way mate. All my normal spots have been empty - very frustrating. On the odd occasion I have found them, they've been up at watsons bay. In saying that, the few times I've managed to find them, they've been going like hot cakes - even more so than squid which haven't been as difficult to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mitchie18092

Good to hear. What burley and bait were you using mate? Also, what line class.

Cheers,

James

Loaf Bread mashed up with a cap full of tuna oil, mash bread up first, then add oil, stir with cooking spoon.A couple of big scoops off the bat to get them in the area, then little ones after that.

3kg line, with a 3 hook paternoster and a small lead at the bottom, but I upside it to 5kg last week, hooked onto something bigger than a yakka, I'm thinking bonito or small king, that was peeling off drag like it wasn't even hooked, applied a bit more drag and the rig popped....worst part is I'll never know what it was.

I had a nice yakka session last time i went out (3 weeks ago I think) and it was at about 7:30. Was there for about 20 minutes, got about 10-11 yakkas. Spent most of the time baiting. Only problem, all of them were huge so only kept 2 of them.

I had a nice yakka session last time i went out (3 weeks ago I think) and it was at about 7:30. Was there for about 20 minutes, got about 10-11 yakkas. Spent most of the time baiting. Only problem, all of them were huge so only kept 2 of them.

Don't be scared to throw a big one out mate, you'd be surprised how often something will have a go at it. Had a big run on a 35cmish tailor the other week when I couldn't get any yakkas!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have good luck catching them in front of the drain which comes out from under the main road.

When you fish from the wharf look to your left and you should be able to see the drain.

Burley up with bread or cooked white rice then I use a dough mix which sinks well and leaves a trail as it does.

When using dough make sure that the hook point is well exposed.

To stop them from taking the dough easily I put a bit of cotton wool in the mix.

Jeff