Can't remember the right way to spool my spinning rod

nutsaboutfishing

Hi Raiders,

It's been about 2 years so it's time to replace my braid, so I head off to YouTube for advice. I'm respooling a Stradic CI4 so it rotates anti-clockwise when view from the butt of the rod and obviously clockwise when view from the tip. Here's my question, with my braid laid flat on the ground am I supposed to wind it off plastic disc in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction?? I'm was leaning towards anti-clockwise so I headed to YouTube. Believe it or not I found 2 vids that said clockwise and a few that said anti-clockwise.

thanks

Richard

Spool the line off in the opposite direction to that it will be wound on to reduce line twist. Right handed reels spool on clockwise, so spool off anticlockwise.

When spooling lines myself, I run the line under a towel or two on a table and weight it down with a few heavy books, say 2-3 kilos. Run the line out a few feet onto the rod and it should pack down well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

I use a chop stick or something I can stick inbetween the spool and then hold between my feet. Run the line through the lowest guide and then use my hand to apply pressure to make sure it goes on tight. Not the best way compared to what others have mentioned but works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure about braid but whenever i put mono on a reel i simply drop it in a bucket of water then wind it on under a little pressure......never had a problem and the few rods that i own with braid were loaded the same way and no worries with them either!

pete.

Forget about line twist with braid. Heavy mono on an eggy, line twist was a bit of a problem, so the anti clockwise method had some benefit. Braid is a diferent animal. What is more important with braid is that it is layed on under good tension. The result will be better line lay, more capacity, reduced risk of digging in under heavy drag and reduced wind knots.

The line should come off its spool the same way it goes on if you want to avoid twist. The tool fragmeister pictures would work the best by far. I tend to just put a rod through the spool, hold it with my toes on a wooden board or similar and run it through the bottom guide of my rod. Pretty much same as mattfinn but put pressure on the rod to increase friction between the spool and board to increase tension. Using wood against plastic seems to give a good even tension which is easy to maintain. It works well for a spinning rod, not so good for a longer rod (legs aren't long enough, you want the line to be coming over the guide at about 90 degrees or greater to limit stress on the line and guide).

I use a chop stick or something I can stick inbetween the spool and then hold between my feet. Run the line through the lowest guide and then use my hand to apply pressure to make sure it goes on tight. Not the best way compared to what others have mentioned but works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much my method!