Fishing etiquette in Jervis Bay

SquidMarks

Hi guys,

Im hoping to do some fishing in JB over the summer holidays (will be towing my boat down there) and as i have never fished JB before im wondering if there is any sort of special etiquette (apart fro normal boating/fishing etiquette) i need to be aware of regarding the royal navy etc?

I am aware of the marine sanctuary zones and that i need to stay well clear of point perpendicular around the tubes so the LBG fishos can have a go, but how does it work with the navy? do they ever close down parts of the bay for training or is there any other infor i might need to be aware of?

How much room do the blokes at the tubes need (can i fish say, 500m from the shore there etc?) or do i just take an extra wide berth around the place (im guessing if im getting pelted with sinkers im too close? :chair: )

Also, are there other areas i need to be aware of etc?

Awesome, love that place. I am hoping to get there over the break too.

With the guys at the tubes you will be able to see their floats - that is when you are too close. 500m is overkill I reckon. Along that rock face there is a rock that sticks out of the water, I generally fish from there onwards towards the point.

Sanctuary zones - yea stay away

Navy - you can test your boat vs theirs :P - I have never seen them training during those holiday periods.

Make sure you check the wind before you head out. Depending on the wind direction I either fish the bay or I launch at Currarong. The difference can be night and day when you pick the right times.

How much room do the blokes at the tubes need (can i fish say, 500m from the shore there etc?) or do i just take an extra wide berth around the place (im guessing if im getting pelted with sinkers im too close? :chair: )

Mate give them at least 1km, better to be safe than sorry

The average 50w will hold 700 meters give or take of 24kg mono.

What if they are fishing 15kg.......?

What if they are fishing braid with a top shot.......?

Sab

Give them plenty of room, if they start waving frantically give them more room.

The lbg spots aren't magical places in the area, they are the only places with access, sketchy access most of the time.

If you're boat based there's plenty of terrain to work with, without parking on top of some poor bloke who's climbed down cliffs and is working harder than you can imagine to keep fishing

you may get buzzed by the Navy helicopter advising you the range is active, this refers to beecroft, point perp and all the northern headland. Just means you cant land your boat as far as im aware but you can still fish in the area?

Hold your hats if they come towards you!

I have uploaded some images with measurements. I generally fish from that rock onwards and have never had a problem. It is around 230m away from them. Plenty I think.

I am not sure if you are just ignorant of what they are doing at the tubes there or what. Maybe do a little research on it, because a decent size marlin will take 230m on its first run. Do you still think it is plenty?

Don't just consider their baits...think about if some poor guy that has lost his missus and job over his land based game addiction, has camped there for 9 days straight without a run, and the only run he does get is fouled by your prop.

Edited by smashdcrab