Glenbawn Damn

kevvie

I'm heading to glenbawn next weekend and i need the infinite wisdom of the fishraider crew to point me in the right direction. :1fishing1:

I will be trying to catch my first native species there and i want to know whether soft plastics will be enough or is this still the domain of hard bodys?. Do you cast and retrieve or troll? And if so what lures do i use?

I have been told that jackalls are the current fad, will this be enough to rely on?

Any help will be appreciated..... :thumbup:

Guest Target

My limited experience with Glenbawn, but matches the advice given to me by many others is...

Purple, purple, purple....

Divers in purple, purple and black have given me more fish than any other, something that will dive to around 3 to 5m. Troll these around the trees, drop offs and steep walls. Get a lure retriever and be ready to put the boat in reverse to go back and get your lures though.

If there are fish on the surface poppers are the go - cast them next to structure on the banks (black poppers have worked for me and scored my biggest fish). Jackalls and lipless cranks have caught a couple of fish.

Ive never had success with spinner baits, but am told that casting them around the trees will produce fish - too many bloody casts for me - I had a mate on the boat one day that insisted on casting 50 times to each tree before we could move on.

Makes me want to go to Glenbawn again........ anyone up for a freshwater social - turn it into a drinking :beersmile::beersmile: ... oops, camping weekend.

Adrian

I just got back from a few days up there, it's fishing pretty damn tough at the moment. I'll have a report up soon.

71171[/snapback]

hello i was out the dam on the weekend and got 2 bass on spinnerbaits just before the narrows yer so that was my first time i used a spinnerbait aye it was great fun o and it was a green bassman

If there are fish on the surface poppers are the go - cast them next to structure on the banks (black poppers have worked for me and scored my biggest fish).  Jackalls and lipless cranks have caught a couple of fish.

70800[/snapback]

Remember tho, a lot of the surface 'action' might be from the stonkingly big CARP that we saw in the smaller alcoves (is this the right word?). I saw huge swirls and got stupid excited, then saw the carp :( Also, on our first day there, we kept hearing splashes...once again thought it was a freshwater bust up but then realised they were just the turtles and water dragons bailing from the trees as we approached.

Remember tho, a lot of the surface 'action' might be from the stonkingly big CARP that we saw in the smaller alcoves (is this the right word?). I saw huge swirls and got stupid excited, then saw the carp :( Also, on our first day there, we kept hearing splashes...once again thought it was a freshwater bust up but then realised they were just the turtles and water dragons bailing from the trees as we approached.

Matrix... too true. First time up there hearing all the splashes, the first thought was WOW, we are going to have a top day :1yikes: BUT, they are almost all carp, and big guys too. What I really meant about the bass being on the surface, is that if the cicadas or insects are bringing them to the surface to feed - normally in summer or warmer weather, but I have heard of bass being taken already this year on poppers.

I just want to catch one of those crap... oops carp up there.

Kevvie, the times that I have been to Glenbawn have shown that the fishing is really weather dependent - fine weather better fishing (or should really say high barometric pressure). You cant plan these things and just have to get there and have a go.

Adrian