1 Piece vs 2 Piece

will_l

Hi,

For a rod that is pretty much purely for casting (SP's etc) would you be at a disadvantage from using a 2 piece rod with a centre join (not at the handle)? Looking at picking up a raider but wondering if the 2 piece model is ok?

Thanks a lot,

Will

As I travel a fair bit I like to have something I can pull apart and put in the car without disrupting the whole car space. Also convenience of 2 piece is you can put it in like a back pack and hike or get on your pushy.

I've never had a one piece for my lure fishing so I don't have anything to contribute there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

For a rod that is pretty much purely for casting (SP's etc) would you be at a disadvantage from using a 2 piece rod with a centre join (not at the handle)? Looking at picking up a raider but wondering if the 2 piece model is ok?

Thanks a lot,

Will

No you won't be at a disadvantage from using a 2 piece rod..

2 piece all the way for me. Can't beat the convenience.

No you won't be at a disadvantage from using a 2 piece rod..

2 piece all the way for me. Can't beat the convenience.

As I travel a fair bit I like to have something I can pull apart and put in the car without disrupting the whole car space. Also convenience of 2 piece is you can put it in like a back pack and hike or get on your pushy.

I've never had a one piece for my lure fishing so I don't have anything to contribute there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mainly just heard of people's rods coming apart.

I don't really travel with my rods and just fish off my boat so the convenience factor isn't as appealing for me.

Edited by will_l

Hi Will,

Went through this many years ago when I bought my first Shimano raider bream finesse 2-4kg. Advice from store was get 2 piece as you won't notice the difference when fishing. Advice from friend who did SP fishing was "Get the 1 piece. Get the 1 piece. Get the 1 piece" and so I did get the 1 piece. Loved the rod but to protect it I needed a 2.3m rod case which is a pain to transport. Promised myself if I found it in 2 piece for $100 I'd get that. I did. I have a smaller rod case which fits in my boot and the 1 piece lives permanently in the garage and has done so for years.

Get the 2 piece unless you are fishing so hard you need the strength of the 1 piece (think marlin and tuna offshore outfits). I sometimes catch Kingfish on my 2 piece bream outfit and it has not let me down. Also when on the boat if I find it is getting in the way I can break the 2 piece down and put it back in its case and store it out of the way. Try storing a 1 piece out of the way on a small boat.

Make sure you push the two pieces tightly together and if you find it still slipping apart rub some wax (candle or board) on the end of the rod which slips into the other part. The added friction is enough to stop them from separating.

Regards,

Derek

PS. The carbon fibre in modern rods can bruise so you really don't want it banging against the hard sides of a tinnie.

PPS. Ended up buying the same 1 piece bream finesse rod for my friend as a birthday present and it ended up getting damaged as it was cumbersome to transport.

Edited by DerekD

With modern manufacturing techniques and carbon fibre, the difference between a one and two piece rod of this weight would only be noticeable in a lab.

As others have said, go the two piece. There's no advantage these days in a single piece rod in this weight class in the real world.

I have mainly just heard of people's rods coming apart.

I use 2 piece rods, including a 2 piece 12 foot beach rod that I had especially made for me (more than 40 years old and still goes well - easier to transport)

With some of the 2 piece rods, because of the materials used, they may wiggle a little bit and separate after some time. All you have to do is occasionally push the 2 pieces together to make sure they are still firmly connected.

I generally don't have issues with two pieces but try to stick to the one pieces for a more even bend in the rod right down to the butt end. The one thing I have noticed on the cheaper two pieces is that if the second piece becomes stuck in the base end it is extremely easy to bend/break the cheaper guides that come with them. Just pay attention to how hard you push the tip in and where you are grabbing it to pull it out and you should avoid it.

Alright, ordered a raider soft plastic 742 4-8kg 2 piece for a light spin for kings. Got it on special for $79 (PM me if you want to know where, 1 left) and also got a stradic 4000 with 15lb braid. Decided I'm going to keep my T-curve 15-24kg for some large, self action stick baits and also a general rod. Hopefully this setup is the goods.

I also stick to two piece rods for the convenience and have never had an issue with their action or capability. I easily pulled in a 56cm Rat Kingy on my 2-5 Kg rod a couple of weeks ago - anything I have lost is due to user error, not the rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey buddy check out the new shimao impact nxt rods they are awesome i got one for christmas to go with my 3000 stradic c14 and its so good i have 2 rack raiders and starlo sticks and the impact nxt is a better rod oh and there all 2 peice rods better for storage

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk