TORTURE AT MAGENTA!

Kingie Hunter

Well guys I've previously put up a fishing report about magenta beach asking if there's jewies there and my question got answered last night on the turn of the tide. 8:30 pm the tide was at its top and started to turn I launched out my tailor head pinned onto 2 7/0 hooks and adjusted the drag and set it in the holder. 5 mins later I see the tip of my glow stick almost hit the ground I sprint to it and set the hook and I'm on something big, zzzzzzzzzzzzz my reels going off the fish was taking several massive runs 15 mins later I see the silver ghost before me in the first wavebreak closest to shore as the wave pulled back all of a sudden ping!!! It's gone I fell to my knees in rage I've been chasing these giants for years now and still can't crack it this was at least 20-23 kilo fish

You must be gutted. that's always the most vulnerable part of the fight. We're you moving up and down the beach with the water flow to take some of the pressure off as it recedes and take maximum advantage of the surge as it pushes the fish up the beach. At least you know where to focus your efforts now. Looking forward to reading you putting one on the sand. Then you can enjoy the slog back to the car through the soft sand with a decent Jewie over your shoulder. Cheers. Garry

Back the drag off and if it wants to go let it go and then try again

I practiced this technique when fishing off the beaches and landed quite a few big fish (bronze whaler or eagle ray though). There were two times the 30lb main line failed at the swivel (excessive wearing?) and now I will switch to 50lb main line and 80 lb leader when fishing the beaches at night.

I can feel landing your next jewie is just around the corner!

Charles

It's a real pity but you've now seen a big one in the waves at night ( it's just surreal sometimes ) and we know it's gets frustrating but it's the resolve u show to catch another ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mate.

I lost a a couple last night that were just playing with the bait, landed 2 (just posted in reports).

Not any where near the size you had but the reason I'm posting is that both jew I caught were hooked in the lip, and I lost 2-3 as the rod buckled over because the hook was not set properly - A massive positive for you is that you set the hook and had a decent fight and off the beach that's a big part of the work done!

Don't be disheartened and be proud of hooking such a fish!

Well done.

tire the fish out in the deeper water then use the waves to land the fish sideways by walking along the beach good luck on your next fish

Great fish mate. You have figured out all of the hardest bit. And often times that happens at the DNS it can be unforeseen or unavoidable anyway.

What luderick is saying above is a great trick. When the fish is close to shore in the closing stages of the fight, don't stand directly in front of it. Stand off to the side a bit so when the shore break washes him up and back a few times (or more) before he is ready he is still under pressure but when the waves (and fish) rush back out the fish is swinging on a bit of an arc (side to side in relation to you and not in and out) so you don't have to react as quickly to run towards it or bleed line quick enough to release the pressure. Eventually you can creep closer for the side and wash him up to beach him. Especially safer when fishing at night and you can't see where the waves and fish are as easily. I always back the drag down at the end when there is less line out and less stretch in the system (and line could break or loss of tension and the hook fall out). If you have a fishing mate with you to gill or gaff the fish he can do that while you still stand a short distance away to the side (and even up the sand a bit) in case the fish does make a last dash out with a wave.

I'm looking forward to the picture of your next big bopper.