Twisted line after trolling skirt lure

GoingFishing

Hi guys

95% of my trolling has been deep diving bibbed lures and recently during a visit to my local tackle store - he was had skirts on clearance and as I'm a regular offered me 4 for $10 bucks- I couldn't say no

I trolled one last week and hooked up to a legal king which was great- later on I changed the set up to drift for flathead and my line was twisted. Every cast I threw out the line would wrap up on itself. My assumption was that the skirted lure was spinning on the troll ??

How can I avoid this next time , any tips would be appreciated

The hook set is suspect number 1, it needs to be straight,

a hook can get turned in a crimp

Off set hooks

Hook turned around and hung in the leader

Etc

If you remove everything and tow the twisted line, it will untwist itself pretty quick

Edited by stevefish

Hi guys

95% of my trolling has been deep diving bibbed lures and recently during a visit to my local tackle store - he was had skirts on clearance and as I'm a regular offered me 4 for $10 bucks- I couldn't say no

I trolled one last week and hooked up to a legal king which was great- later on I changed the set up to drift for flathead and my line was twisted. Every cast I threw out the line would wrap up on itself. My assumption was that the skirted lure was spinning on the troll ??

How can I avoid this next time , any tips would be appreciated

A swivel will stop the line from twisting but wont stop the lure from spinning. A spinning lure is not very attractive to a fish.

Check what Stevefish said and also where the leader is attached to the lure. It has to be as far to the leading end as possible and in the centre.

Before letting out your line to troll, test run the lure beside the boat and watch how it goes. If it's spinning you can fix it so that you aren't trolling around a useless lure all day.

If you put up a photo of the rigged lure you could maybe get more help.