Multi-Rodders

Ryder

I turned up to a spot on the harbour today, 4 other guys already there, 20+ rods out.

No one getting anything except 1 guy had 3 small whiting dying in a bucket.

Do they think they are going to catch every fish in the area just because they're there?

I see it on the beaches too. Guys put out multiple rods over a 50 metre stretch.

Taking up valuable real estate, and not tending to it.

They miss more than they will ever catch.

We need some reeducation.

I willingly admit going to the beach i ALWAYS take 2 rods. Either two soaking baits whilst i chill or one soaking a bait whislt throwing plastics lol. But people that use the maximum legal allowance of 4 or ones using even more i completly understand your frustrations

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

See this a lot Ryder.

I guess because they miss a lot they are not putting a whole lot of pressure on the fishery but I agree, general education is missing.

Where are the ads on TV educating people on all those thing we relatively educated anglers are aware of.

No budget for that I guess or perhaps there is an element of anglers who just don't care and it would be wasted on them.

I share your frustration.

Cheers

Jim

Very common in Newcastle Ryder, however there is not as many fisho's here so most of us can get along & share the space (with the exception of a few hotspots which I don't even bother with anymore).

My pet hate is people leaving rods / lines unattended for long periods and sometimes even leaving and coming back - this is illegal (think they call it set-lining) and I see it a fair bit with lines tied to trees / jetties etc.

I often fish with two or even three rods off the beach, the difference is I am CONSTANTLY watching them, to the point I have a sore neck and jelly legs from running in between them. The reason I do this is that most of the beaches I fish are very scarce of both people and fish. I started with one rod with the best live bait and light tackle however you can go a full day without a hit. Having the extra line out increases the catch rate however I agree they need to be kept within the legal limits and attended to so the impact to the environment is reduced.

Great conversation to have we often forget or fail to learn what impact discarded gear has on the waterway and that's where a lot of unattended lines end up!

They miss more than they will ever catch.

Very true! One quality rigged rod under proper supervision, baited properly and held in your hand will catch more than trying to run 5.

I don't really care that these people reduce their chances with multiple rods out, but they take claim a huge amount of fishing room which isn't fair. Something should be done.

Very true! One quality rigged rod under proper supervision, baited properly and held in your hand will catch more than trying to run 5.

I don't really care that these people reduce their chances with multiple rods out, but they take claim a huge amount of fishing room which isn't fair. Something should be done.

Agree with you 100% Roylo, something should be done, things are becoming bad when you are using a float to fish with and still get tangled up with fishing line 10 metres out, we will have artificial reefs close to shore made from snapper lead and braid soon the way things are going.

I tried bait fishing again the other day. Quickly got bored and rigged up a hardbody on the second rod I brought with me.

Safe to say I'm converted to one rod only for my fishing. Also not one of those fishos with four different rods for lure fishing hahaha that's a pet hate of mine cause good rods and reels for lures cost a bomb these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon Fisheries should change the legislation to 2 lines in the water per person. That way you can bring as many rigged outfits as you want but can only have 2 of them in the water at any given time. This should obviously only apply to fisho's fishing from land or anything attached/fixed to land like wharves and jetties etc. Won't affect any boat fisherman.

I reckon Fisheries should change the legislation to 2 lines in the water per person. That way you can bring as many rigged outfits as you want but can only have 2 of them in the water at any given time. This should obviously only apply to fisho's fishing from land or anything attached/fixed to land like wharves and jetties etc. Won't affect any boat fisherman.

Certainly the number of rigged rods allowed is an out dated regulation so I would be in favour of a change there.

I think it is now normal for anglers to have purpose built rigs but they are not usually used simultaneously.

Typically, on the boat when going solo would have 6 rods and a handline.

The handline rigged for catching livies

A 2 - 3Kg rod rigged for catching squid

A 3- 4 Kg rod rigged for bream etc

A 4 - 6Kg rod for spinning metals at schools of salmon etc terminated in a swivel

A 8 - 10 kg rod for trolling lures behind the boat or down-rigging terminated in a swivel

A 10 kg jigging rod for Kings terminated in a swivel

A 15 kg rigged Rod for live baiting for larger kings

I never fish with more than two rods at a time because it just gets messy and unmanageable.

At the start of the day I have 3 rigged rods and a handline

When I finish collecting bait I cut off the squid jig and the hook off the handline.

That leaves me with 5 rods that could be rigged by the end of the day if I don't pay attention.

If I see fisheries I will just do a quick count and cut off the terminal tackle on one or two to make sure.

Given that I mostly catch & release, use circle hooks and never fish with more than 2 rods I certainly

have no qualms about this.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister