Dirty water

Rami

With all the rain over Sydney, I was thinking how it impacts fishing. What species would shut down and for how long? Which ones like the dirty water? Etc. what are follow raiders thoughts/ opinions?

Edited by Rami

Jewies are known to sit by river mouths, estuary entrances and the like after rain. They'll sit there and pick up easy prey as the system flushes out (so the theory goes - I've not targeted them myself). In my own system I have been targeting flathead and whiting lately. Whiting didn't seem the least bit put off by dirty water - they have been feeding actively and in the same baits. Flathead are still there and still eating, but when the water was clear I was getting a fairly even split between fish taken on plastics and fish taken on bait. Since the rain almost all my fish have been taken on bait - so could signal a change in feeding behaviour from them post the rains, but I'm still experimenting.

Basically I'm firmly of the opinion that there are only 3 good times to go fishing:

- whenever you can

- when it's raining

- when it's not

Far more important is where you fish when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingies don't mind the dirty water either. It is without a doubt the best time to fish for jewies. Reports around brisbane waters in the last week have entailed good numbers of large jews.

In my experience E.p's completely shut down after a good rain.