Rock Fishing

marks1984

hey all need some help for the past few years I have done a lot of lure fishing off rock platforms.

But I would like to start to use bait, now I know that weed is the gun bait but what else do people recommend the basics like prawns, squid and pillis?

do I use a running sinker straight to my hook or is a float a better option?

I fish up on the central cost but on this particular rock platform my brother and I are always the only people fishing the odd person may come but not many.

Weed is a gun bait, but only for blackfish and sometimes drummer. Royal red prawns in 1 kg packs, IQF frozen are what I prefer or fresh white bread, use bread for berley and stick to light simple rigs, pea sinkers down on hooks size 4 up to 2/0 depending on bait size, or a floating rig depending on the spot. You can even catch small groper on prawns and bream/drummer sized gear, but generally groper fishing is a bit more specialized, both in terms of gear and bait.. If you fish heavy and tether your bait to the bottom, all you will get are kelpfish and PJ sharks.

I find peeld prawns easier to rig in this situation, because it doesn't have to look like a prawn, compared to say flattie fishing. I prefer the royal red prawns because they come as prawn meat in a resealable bag and individually frozen.

Matt

fellas what about berley? I have a keeper net that I have connected to a 10m rope to tie it off to a hole in the rock normally I put either one or two dog food rolls that I have bought from the supermarket and frozen overnight I have also put like 10 - 13 frozen bread rolls as well together as the swell/wash bashes them against rocks and slowly breaks away. well that's what I do wether its correct or not lol any advise would be great

Guest Guest123456789

I've used a similar approach to you for berley in the past. I found it too much of a hassle. I just use aniseed pellets. I dont bother when the water is fast moving or other fishos are around. Works well when you're on your own and near the tide change in small swell.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry fellas I am currently overseas at the moment first time I have been able to get on.

yeah I think I use to much berley but fishing is a learning curve as well. if there is other people there I don't mind with the berley as long as we all take home a feed that's why we go fishing

Guest Guest123456789

sorry fellas I am currently overseas at the moment first time I have been able to get on.

yeah I think I use to much berley but fishing is a learning curve as well. if there is other people there I don't mind with the berley as long as we all take home a feed that's why we go fishing

I don't stop burleying when other fisherman around for that reason. It's more because I've had people ask me to stop because they are spinning for bigger fish or targeting luderick and think my burley will repel their target species (rightly or wrongly).

The problem with berley on the rocks is that is has to be done right. Too much berley in the wrong place can take the fish away from where you want to catch them. This is very true with blackfish. Quite often I don't berley until I've seen if they are around. There have been times when we have been quite happily catching fish, another person comes along and overburleys in a strong current and the fish are gone. I think you have to be really careful with berley, it can be counterproductive. At the same time it can be incredibly important and can mean the difference on some days.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...