New Rod Choice?

KaneMc

Hi all,

My wife has finally come to her senses and instead of trying to surprise me again this year she has asked me to give her a Christmas list. First on that list will be a new rod.

I currently have a Penn 8500SS and have it matched with a 10 foot Penn Powerstick for off the rocks. I want to do some boat fishing (if I can find a good place to hire one from) in the future and am looking for a suitable rod for under $150. I will use my Penn real with this too until I can afford to buy another reel or bring my TLD from New Zealand.

The reel is currently loaded with 20Lb braid. This rod needs to be multipurpose as I am likely to try a fair few different techniques. I have done most of my previous fishing in NZ so will need to see what works here. i.e. Livies, trolling, spinning, bottom bashing, etc.

I am leaning towards something around a length of 2.1 m (7 foot) , and around the 10kg class. I have looked a few Ugly Stik Platinum's and some Penn Powerstick Plus’s but am not sure which is best or what other possibilities there might be.

By the way I love Kingy’s so it needs to be able to tough it out if necessary. Maybe I need it a bit heavier?

Any help would be appreciated.

I do the same thing with my 8500ss. My boat rod for it is a custom job, its 7ft long, and can handle 15kg but is more of a heavy 10kg rod. Its a great allrounder, look for something with similar characteristics. silstar, ugly sticks, penns, live fibre are all very similar rods, take the reel into the shop (most shops should have a 8500ss in stock anyway) and put it on a few different rods and see which one feels best, but I reckon you are already on the right track.