Boat Ramps at Burrill Lake

Mullatt

Hi all,

Am planning a few days fishing Burrill lake in February, and was hoping some of you raiders who frequent or live in the area may be able to assist me.

Will be taking my 4 metre Stacer boat and towing with a rear wheel drive Sedan. Haven't fished that lake for about 30 years, so was hoping to get some info on boat ramps in the area.

What's the best ramp to use for the lake? Is it ok for a sedan? Slippery etc etc

I know that up the back of the lake it can be very busy with ski boats etc. is that likely to be an issue do you think?

Any tips on what areas to fish, best baits/lures etc would be welcomed too.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

I was there last week. I have a 5.7 Stacer and Jackaroo tow car.

The ramp at King's Point is probably the best ramp there it's quite protected as well. That is the only ramp I used this year as we spent a couple of days water skiing.

I have used the ramp to the Southern side with my Uncles smaller boat without much fuss. Parking is pretty good there as well. There is a pontoon beside the ramp. I chose not to launch from there with my bigger boat a couple of years ago. I think the ramp drops away quickly at the bottom.

I have used the ramp on the Northern side ( 2 years ago) with my previous boat a 5.3 quintrex Bowrider and it was ok too. Street parking only on that one but even over Christmas it was fine. There is no pontoon and it has more sand around it. The tide does get ripping along at that ramp and both are more subject to the wind than the one at the ski park.

They do charge 15 bucks to use the ski park facilities, I don't think it strictly applies to the ramp, not completely sure. The attendant collects it if he arrives when you are there.

With my boat if I had good help I would probably use the northern ramp and if I was doing it alone or minimal help I would use the ski park ramp.

From the Northern and Southern ramp you also have the 4 or 8 knot zone to get through depending where you fish.

We have never used anything other than two wheel drive at any ramp.

Edited by welst

Thanks for the replies welst. By the sound of it, with my boat, any of the 3 ramps you mentioned would be fine, depending on what part of the lake I'm fishing in I guess. The Kings Point ramp looks pretty good from the pics, but not sure that I'm all that keen on forking out $60 for fees whilst I'm fishing for 4 days though.

Just have to decide/find out now where my best areas will be to fish.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

I didn't do any fishing on the lake this trip. I'm sure the fish are pretty active, the water temp was around 26 degrees.

Maybe use the search function for some tips. Here is one link. Depending on the timing the prawns may be running. I know fisheries stocked it during the year.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=75216&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

We did go prawning one night at a lake further south. Dirt road in and probably a 1km walk. A Fisheries officer was down there keeping his eye on things, nice guy who obviously enjoys a fish himself. Good to see. We only got a couple of kilos maximum (the timing was wrong). The conditions were magic.

Edited by welst

Thanks for the replies welst. By the sound of it, with my boat, any of the 3 ramps you mentioned would be fine, depending on what part of the lake I'm fishing in I guess. The Kings Point ramp looks pretty good from the pics, but not sure that I'm all that keen on forking out $60 for fees whilst I'm fishing for 4 days though.

Just have to decide/find out now where my best areas will be to fish.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Lake has been very quiet, have yet to hear from someone catching any numbers or anything of size. Hope it picks up. A lot of of mullet jumping, no tailor at all (there were heaps busting up 18 months ago). Not sure what's going on. I've managed a few just legal flatties and a reasonable bream or two. I live right on the lake.

Lake has been very quiet, have yet to hear from someone catching any numbers or anything of size. Hope it picks up. A lot of of mullet jumping, no tailor at all (there were heaps busting up 18 months ago). Not sure what's going on. I've managed a few just legal flatties and a reasonable bream or two. I live right on the lake.

Thanks for the info Holls, that does seem a bit weird hey. You would have thought conditions would have been ideal by now! Assume the lake is still open to the sea?

What would you suggest as far as ramps go down there?

cheers

Dave

The lake is open. There was some decent bream harassing the poddies at the ski park ramp when I arrived. I didn't fish or really chat with any fisho's so can't help much more. The last time I fished there with my uncle it was quiet but that was towards the end of winter when the water was cold. Just the one Bream.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=78608&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Thanks for the info Holls, that does seem a bit weird hey. You would have thought conditions would have been ideal by now! Assume the lake is still open to the sea?

What would you suggest as far as ramps go down there?

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, fish harrassing poddies might have been tailor. A few being caught tho they're not busting up like they usually do. Got two nice flatties yesterday & two good sized bream using live poddy mullet. Will post more info later. Can't tell you a lot about the lake ramps as i don't use them. I fish out of a yak launched from my lakeside house.

Hi Dave, fish harrassing poddies might have been tailor. A few being caught tho they're not busting up like they usually do. Got two nice flatties yesterday & two good sized bream using live poddy mullet. Will post more info later. Can't tell you a lot about the lake ramps as i don't use them. I fish out of a yak launched from my lakeside house.

Sounds like live poddies are the go! Thanks for the replies again holls.