advice on julians and yellow rock

jack1993

hey fellas

just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice on julians and yellow rock. just want to know what sort of lures work best of there, best times to fish and what sort of swell and wind to avoid. i went down and had a look this morning but didn't fish because i didn't have cleats and it was too slippery so just watched it for a bit. any advice on other productive rock platforms in the area would be good to. i have tried to sift throught the site to find previous post but found them a bit vague

cheers

Best time to fish juliannes is low tide and swell below 1m

Very limited spot...maximum 10 people on the spinning ledge

Squid skirts on floats works well and hard bodies

Be very careful and always take someone with you

Going down to the ledge is ok but going back up is hard especially if you catch something big

Travel light is recommended

Before sunrise is the best time

Goodluck and please be very careful

It is one of the dangerous ledge in sydney for anyone specially for a newbie fishing off rocks

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

thanks mate im fishing with a 4-6 kg rod with 12lbs mono on a 3000 reel do you think this is to light as i have a 10-12kg rod and a 12000 reel aswell. mostly interested in spinning for bonito and salmon. also should i be using a leader or just tie straight to the mainline.

i know all hype about this ledge having lived 10 minutes away for 21 years definitely wont be taking any risks. i am very comfortable in the water having surfed and been apart of the surf club most of my life. i am on my way now to invest in a good pair of cleats and hoping to give it a crack tomorrow morning

Like fisholb said, be careful, I aways take a PFD and wear it if I think it calls for it. Seen many people wash of that ledge many times in the past. As for Yellow Rock, that's more for live baiting. Watch the high tide or a big swell because just down the bottom you don't wanna get caught when crossing the thin part of the ledge to get to the other side. Oh, and the walk back is a long awful one.

thanks mate im fishing with a 4-6 kg rod with 12lbs mono on a 3000 reel do you think this is to light as i have a 10-12kg rod and a 12000 reel aswell. mostly interested in spinning for bonito and salmon. also should i be using a leader or just tie straight to the mainline.

i know all hype about this ledge having lived 10 minutes away for 21 years definitely wont be taking any risks. i am very comfortable in the water having surfed and been apart of the surf club most of my life. i am on my way now to invest in a good pair of cleats and hoping to give it a crack tomorrow morning

6kg rod will do for the bonito and salmon with 12lb main. I suggest you use a leader between 20-30lb. You can use a swivel between the main and leader or just use double uni. Just watch the swell before you start spinning. A close mate of mine had fallen off that ledge years ago. He was lucky he was able to climb back up with only scratches and bruises. Just be careful and make sure you find a way to come back up just in case you fall over. Remember rescue can take a while to come. Please let me know how you go.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

If you have never fished yella as we locals call it give it a miss ladders are gone a long climb and its claimed a lot of lives not worth any fish! If you must go with someone that knowscthevledgevamdcthecway the swell sweeps up it. The Rock is a sickle shape and slopes seawards water will wash up and rush back behind your knees it has trapped many am unwary angler.

As friends and myself that have fished it!!! we call it " Skidmark " for a good reason, if you want to get caught off guard and have a good scare!!! you have found the perfect spot.

I have fished it twice, to "Spooky" for me, only for the locals this place.