First King!

Tag117

Hey Raiders,

I recently set myself a goal to try and catch my first kingfish. However, i have been getting distracted by bust ups, ended up using my livies for jew instead and just overall not succeeded. I headed out wednesday with a goal of just chasing pelagics in the harbour. We launched from Roseville Bridge around 9:30 and headed into the harbour looking for surface action. On our way saw a penguin who let us get within 2m of him while he preened his feathers, great to see our harbour in such a good condition!

We found our first bust up round Taronga zoo, however, all that seemed to be busting up were undersized tailor so we head deeper in the harbour in search of better things. We then came across an insane bust up right behind the bridge. We started fishing it and pulled in big tailor and salmon almost every cast. While reeling in a tailor, i noticed a huge silhouette underneath it, thought it was a shark but as it got closer we realised it was a huge king (probably a bit over the metre mark). Chucked out huge lures to immitate the tailor for a while but they yielded no success so we went back to what was working.

Next cast, i hooked something a lot bigger. The fish dove straight for the bottom and i struggled to turn him. Must have been onto him for a good 10 minutes when a sailing boat came metres away from us and cut off my line :ranting2: . I was absolutely devastated. Oh well, no use crying over lost fish. I rigged right back up and cast again. After about 20 more minutes of fishing, i finally hooked another bigger fish. Took me a while to bring him in, i'd called him for a big salmon but when he got to the boat and i saw the bright yellow tail, I absolutely stoked. Netted, in the boat, my first king! As i went to unhook my lure i realised he'd busted somebody else off before me, bait still on the hook lol. I removed both hooks, took a quick photo and released him back into the harbour.

All in all, a tonne of fun and a fish i'll never forget!

post-32294-0-57173000-1454026846_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the king. I have not caught a legal yet.

Hey Raiders,

We then came across an insane bust up right behind the bridge. We started fishing it and pulled in big tailor and salmon almost every cast.

I assume you do know that there is a no-stopping ( transit ) zone around the bridge.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/safety-rules/publications/transit-zone.pdf

Congrats on the king. I have not caught a legal yet.

I assume you do know that there is a no-stopping ( transit ) zone around the bridge.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/safety-rules/publications/transit-zone.pdf

You know sometimes I think the fish know this!

The number of times on the way back up the harbour I spot bird and fish activity in the transit zone and particularly under the bridge astounds me.

I guess its a relatively narrow, deep and shaded area so there a formula for concentrating fish but still there is so much boat traffic its a wonder it doesn't spook them completely.

Cheers

Jim

I guess its a relatively narrow, deep and shaded area so there a formula for concentrating fish but still there is so much boat traffic its a wonder it doesn't spook them completely.

Cheers

Jim

It was churning with surface action at 2pm Australia Day, also seen surface action on Boxing Day and Australia Day last year, so no, it doesn't worry them!