So you think you can tow 3.5 tonne?

Camo1808

Just checked my wife's 2015 Nissan Pathfinder is rated 2700kg braked 750kg without trailer brakes.

My Ranger is 3,500 braked and 750kg without brakes.

So I guess I have enough safey factor as the new boat is 1480kg plus fuel, ice, gear and food extras say another 500kg plus 250kg for the people in the cabin, takes me to 2230kg. Both cars are capable.

Good to hear its all safe jeff. Does make you realise but. Good to see you checked as well

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Billy2014 & locodave,

Thankfully I wasn't towing a boat when my Magna ran out of brakes. That particular vehicle (89 TP Magna) was stunningly under spec on the brakes, I'm amazed it even met Australian standards. Hopefully they have since improved the standards.

This is a great thread and has definitely made me think about the towing capacity of my Aurion. I will do some checking and weighing when I can. I will also look into weight distribution hitches as I have not heard of those before. Currently I am having a bit of an issue with the rear of my car being too low when hitched, so as well as having the suspension checked (Monday) will check the tow ball weight.

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback in the thread, particularly Billy2014.

I do consider myself a safe driver and last year when we were rear-ended towing the boat back from the summer trip I was thanked by the driver in front who said it was amazing I didn't hit his car (impact not my fault and I was pushed forward a fair way under full lock due to the impact). The good result was simply because I left a safe distance between his vehicle and mine, and when I was hit, didn't panic and controlled my enforced slide as best I could.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

Billy2014 & locodave,

Thankfully I wasn't towing a boat when my Magna ran out of brakes. That particular vehicle (89 TP Magna) was stunningly under spec on the brakes, I'm amazed it even met Australian standards. Hopefully they have since improved the standards.

This is a great thread and has definitely made me think about the towing capacity of my Aurion. I will do some checking and weighing when I can. I will also look into weight distribution hitches as I have not heard of those before. Currently I am having a bit of an issue with the rear of my car being too low when hitched, so as well as having the suspension checked (Monday) will check the tow ball weight.

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback in the thread, particularly Billy2014.

I do consider myself a safe driver and last year when we were rear-ended towing the boat back from the summer trip I was thanked by the driver in front who said it was amazing I didn't hit his car (impact not my fault and I was pushed forward a fair way under full lock due to the impact). The good result was simply because I left a safe distance between his vehicle and mine, and when I was hit, didn't panic and controlled my enforced slide as best I could.

Glad you have enjoyed the thread. Great thing about this forum is no matter age or experience we all can continue to learn. Its great.

Sure the Captiva will tow OK but like any car, it is not designed to tow above capacity, safely, it is not. No car should tow above capacity, what I subscribe to is a healthy margin in any case i.e. 2T BMT and 3T towing with 300kg tow ball rating. If you tow to near capacity, then the vehicle needs to be setup correctly and the complete 'weight' picture is taken into account. The majority of BMT rigs under 2T will have basic mechanical brakes (usually in varying levels of service and effectiveness) The Captiva's tow rating ranges from 1.5T to 2.0T (depending on the model) and the tow ball weight load limit is probably around 150kg - 200kg (I can't actually find this info curiously enough) which is probably typical of a 5.5m glass boat, slight guesstimating here but most of us have enough experience around boats to know. If I were towing with a Captiva, I would make sure that the boat, fully loaded with fuel, bait, fishing gear, batteries, radio, safety gear, gaffs, your lunch, your mates esky full of beer also comes in under 1.5T or 2T depending on the model of Captiva. In addition to this, if I were towing with any model Captiva, I would also use a weight distribution hitch. I would use a WDH device on any car that is towing close to it's capacity. The Captiva is still a soft roader therefore it has normal suspension, just like a car, loaded up, it will sag at the rear, braking distance and steering control dramatically reduces and I mean by many metres. So, in reality, both the towing weight and the tow ball hitch car manufacturers recommended capacities are more than likely being exceeded in this case so insurance is also still a problem, if it came down to it.

Back to the comparison, besides better 4WD suspension, the heavier vehicle will have better control, less body roll induced by the load, lurching and sag and that's under normal driving, not an emergency, simple physics. I have done enough towing miles in 4WD and soft roaders to know, & currently I own one of each & tow with both. In a lighter weight car, your car is the passenger and the boat is taking the car for a ride, that's the bottom line. A genuine 4wd or similarly rated tow vehicle, properly setup for towing is usually heavier, this makes a huge difference, the boat is now taken for a ride by the car, not the other way around, the suspension has a higher load rating (much better because the front tyres are still firmly on the ground) and most importantly, the brakes have better stopping power in a good 4x4, larger discs etc. The more a car gets pushed around by the the boat while towing, the more dynamic the loads become, this is not good. For example, if the car wallows and lurches while towing, the tow ball capacity will temporarily exceed it limits due to different loads and angles being imposed onto the tow ball. If you slam the brakes on or swerve or both, the lighter the car, the softer the suspension, the weaker the brakes, the less control of your total load you will have.

I haven't even begun to look at the vehicles payload capacity but we can assume that with a couple of adults in the front, kids in the back, boot load chocked up with gear and a tow ball weight being exceeded, this example rig is not in my version of 'safe', I can almost guarantee that the Captiva's LEGAL payload, vehicle axle load is or is uncomfortably close to being exceeded on a typical family holiday, towing a 5.5 glass boat. The laws must assume that we all don't have professional driving skills because 99.99% of us towing do not. Sadly though, peoples understanding of 'safe' can vary wildly and this is exactly why we need much tougher control and towing laws that are the same across Australia...As boaters, we are way behind caraveners and 4wd'ers when it comes to knowledge on all aspects of towing because the majority of our trips are short, local boat ramp and back. Its when we hitch up for that 300km long hilly tow holiday and take the whole house with us, that's when things start to get out of hand.

I was under the impression that the boat must be empty whilst being towed, not loaded with gear and beer, tents and bait? the same with caravans?

Johnno

I was under the impression that the boat must be empty whilst being towed, not loaded with gear and beer, tents and bait? the same with caravans?

Johnno

Hi jonno. Not sure where you heard that from ylu can have it loaded with what ever you want as long as it is all sevured down and does not exceed gvm (for caravan) or woth the boat go over the towing rates of the cars specs (as per article attached)

Do you take your boat empty when you go fishing? :P

I went through all this when i got my last boat. Seafarer Victory 6.0. I have taken it to the weigh bridge. 2.2 T with minimum gear and fuel.

But i havent done a big trip yet. Which means, camp gear, full tank on car 180l, full tank on boat, rods, tackle etc. the day I do I will go to the weighbridge. As for now i am safe.

Billy2014 & locodave,

I hope the rear ending didn't damage the boat too much Tastee (sorry I just noticed your status is whiting, not your name sorry! Safe distance, just comes back to common sense again - How many people drive too fast whilst towing or tailgate on the freeway at 110k/hr +? Two of my pet hates and they lack any form of common sense or compassion for others by the way they drive.

This is a good thread for sure, we need more awareness from boaties around towing limits, as for the WDH - Have a look at this video, it is excellent;

Edited by Billy2014

I hope the rear ending didn't damage the boat too much Tastee (sorry I just noticed your status is whiting, not your name sorry! Safe distance, just comes back to common sense again - How many people drive too fast whilst towing or tailgate on the freeway at 110k/hr +? Two of my pet hates and they lack any form of common sense or compassion for others by the way they drive.

This is a good thread for sure, we need more awareness from boaties around towing limits, as for the WDH - Have a look at this video, it is excellent;

I tow a caravan with a WDH, but also increase the 4WD tow vehicle tyre pressures from 40 psi to 50 psi. The tow vehicle suspension is upgraded with stiffer shocks, coil springs and rear air bags. For those of you who tow a heavy boat and trailer, an upgrade to your tow vehicle's suspension will assist in an easier towing time, with increased stability on the road.

The hull was undamaged (Quintrex transoms certainly get my vote!), but the outboard was written off and the trailer needed a new hitch, winch and mount, lights, and right rear glide. The car had the tow ball mount bent up 60 degrees into the bumper so also needed that replaced and repaired. The Hilux dual cab that argued with my outboard was certainly very sick, not much left of the bonnet, radiator etc. Thankfully no-one was injured in either car.

Hi jonno. Not sure where you heard that from ylu can have it loaded with what ever you want as long as it is all sevured down and does not exceed gvm (for caravan) or woth the boat go over the towing rates of the cars specs (as per article attached)

I expect it was bourne of the fact that people would tie stuff down on a trailer, but would not necessarily think of the contents of the boat, and that they also need to be secured. But also the point that as you mentioned, the weight of the gear needs to be taken into account. fridge, beer, bait, gear, rods, fuel etc