Advice for a newbie

bobmarlee

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum. I find that there are loads of great topics to read up on here.

I've never ever caught a decent size legal fish. All have been maybe just to size. I fish mainly land base and was wondering if there is somewhere not to dangerous to catch kings?

The only rig I know is the running sinker to the swivel and a leader of about 50 cm

Any tips/advice for a noob would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum bob!

As a newbie so to speak, I would be trying to target flathead, bream or whiting. They are your basic bread and bitter species that are generally productive year round. They can also be very good eating and great fun to catch on light gear.

I'm not from Sydney but if you can find any nice sandy/weedy areas with good drop offs, you will find these fish.

A decent 2-4kg rod 2500 reel and 6-8lb braid line will get you started. A small sinker to swivel with a 30-40cm trace with a longshank hook. Use either a prawn or pilly and burley up and hopefully you have some luck! If you get nothing in an hour then change spots!

Hope that helps.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey bobmarlee, i agree with scratchies recommendation, target smaller more common apecies first, they are a lot of fun and it is so rewarding when you finally get a good one.

If you do however want to chase kings, there are plenty in the harbour at the moment, blues point, and pretty much any wharf or pier are good spots to try.

Drop offs can be found by sight,areas of darker water near light water usually around the mouth of bays, can also drop off straight from the shore, ie, a rock ledge with deep water at your feet. Another way to find them is to buy yourself a good nautical chart of the areas you fish or plan to fish a lot. Itll give you a great idea of the topography and help you find more good spots once you know what areas work for you.

Good luck mate, feel free to ask more questions