First Barra and a great day out

Adsy91

Hey guys thought I'd share todays story with you all.

The missus has had a friend fly up from Sydney and with me not catching fish I suggested a trip to the Bli Bli Barra park. To my surprise the girls were just as excited as I so we packed the gear and took the drive from Brisbane.

As we arrived the wind was howling through and shifting around which didn't look great but with a bit of cloud cover around I was hoping for the goods.

We paid our entry fee and proceeded towards the back corner slightly tucked out of the wind. I pulled out the bream gear and set up with some 6lb braid to 6lb mono leader. A small green ecooda shrimp was the lure of choice and as I tied of the final nots I could hear the barra smashing the pellets the girls had just thrown in the water. Although this was in the pond with the smaller fish I can assure you there was a good number of 70-80cm fish in these schools mixed in with the majority of 50's.

I positioned myself on the bank nearby and cast directly under some mangroves, let it sink....then BANG....s@$# wasn't paying enough attention! I quickly reeled in and threw several casts back at the same spot but nothing.

After the next twenty minutes and a few missed hits I moved to another bank. First cast and a few twitches back from the bank and the hooks sunk in. I was onto a good sized fish. As my reeel screemed and line flew off at an alarming rate I couldn't help but smile....finallyyyyyy fish! The battle went on for about 15 minutes as I struggled to turn it's head being mindful of their raspy little mouths. Finally landing a nice solid Barra (never measure or weigh my fish so your guess is as good as mine on size).

6501649caba0a74d20500409420c4e46.jpg

This was what I'd been waiting for. I cannot tell you how much it has killed me the last month not catching fish. Moving to Brisbane has been a big eye opener for me realising truly how much most of us really have to learn about this beautiful sport. While I'm sure I'll crack the code on the Brissy river soon, I'm stoked to have places like this around to wet a line...even if it is cheating [emoji6]

Their were a few more fish caught and a monster snapped me off on the heavier gear but this first fish was definitely the highlight.

Hope you enjoy the read and if you ever feel like you're having a bad run with it, I highly recommend dropping in and giving it a shot yourself. The staff were great and very friendly.

Tight lines!

Forgot to mention my partners friend caught a fish of the same calibre on the gear supplied by staff on a pellet right at the end of our session putting a big smile on their faces. My girl wasn't as lucky missing three fish (my guess is the wind was showing the fish which pellets had line attatched)

• 2 weeks later...

Adsy thats hectic mate. You told me about this joint so i decided to search it on here and came accross tbis fish haha. Think this trip is definitely on the cards ay.

Wouldnt mind opening my barra account with a cracker like this

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Adsy thats hectic mate. You told me about this joint so i decided to search it on here and came accross tbis fish haha. Think this trip is definitely on the cards ay.

Wouldnt mind opening my barra account with a cracker like this

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hahaha yeh mate I inquired today about their next night fishing session and they are saying it should be the 19th of march if your up by then we should book in =P