14/2/16 - a long day

will_l

Hi Guys,

this is my first report and unfortunately I didn't get anything notable so there are no pictures however it was still an enjoyable day with many things happening. I woke up at 5:30 and was on the water by 6:30. My first point was the get some squid. I wanted to get the squid early as I heard this was the best time to get them so I resisted the bust ups I saw happening around me to carry on to the squid grounds. Unfortunately I got nothing, so it was off to get some yakkas. Got the spot and there was a huge amount of bait sized fish but they were all dart looking fish. Got multiples of the dart looking fish but threw them all back so in the end I only got 1 yakka in 45 minutes. There was some big kings swimming around as well however I was so torn on wether I should spend 10 mins trying to setup the big rod or just keep bait fishing and in the end just kept on bait fishing. Ok, not the best start but I have my soft plastic's rod so I went to look for the first spot for a fish. Got to Vaucluse and dropped the yakka down. Was there for about 35 minutes with no hits so brought the yakka back up and put it back in the bait tank. There was hardly any swell so I thought I'd give Old Mans Hat a try, and it was insanely calm. Protected from all swell and wind. Dropped down the yakka, got a hit, brought it back up and there was a chuck taken out the back of the yakka (what would that of been?). Dropped the yakka down again and felt a few bites and then they stopped so I winded up and I was snagged. Sorted that out and then started to give soft plastics a try. Unfortunately nothing again. So decided to troll a hard body around a bit then troll around north harbour. Still no luck unfortunately so I thought I'd go back to basics. Brought out the bream raider and went up middle harbour a bit. Started to get some legal flatties, pinkie snapper, grinners etc but threw them all back (How safe is it to eat fish out of the lower parts of middle harbour). Was getting quite a few hook ups just going around the moorings, drop offs etc so I was enjoying my self. Then just behind me I realised they were filming a fishing show. We were practically fishing side by side for 30 mins so if they use any of that footage I might be famous :). They were fishing from a bass boat with a separate boat with the film crew. My bad luck on some big fish was soon going to change (so I thought). I was fishing the little grub and started feeling some constant pulls. Squid! Brought the lure to the boat and saw there was about 4 squid hitting it. Quickly changed to the squid jig and cast out. Before it even hit the bottom I got one. Straight in the bait tank and threw out the jig again. Was instantly on again. Put him in the bait tank and went again. Didn't get any more for 10 minutes so I thought I'd head off and give the squid a go. Went back to back to Vaucluse and put down a squid head. No hits for 30 minutes so went back to Old Mans Hat. Lost the head to (I assume pickers) as I felt no bites. Put down the other head and same thing happened. Very annoying. I had the heads sitting at about in the lower third of the water coloumn, few winds off the bottom. Tried the squid wings around some of the markers and lost those to pickers as well. Decided to head home and call it a day. On the way back thought I noticed some floating jerry bottles and a guy swimming. He called me over and his boat had just sunk. He was a tow boat, towing a group of people when it happened. I dropped him off at Mcmahons point and went back home. A strange finish to a pretty enjoyable day. I left at 5:30am and got back a 4pm.

Thanks a lot for reading. Let me know if its too much info and too long, this is my first report.

Will

The bites in the back of the yakka would have been squid - if its a chunk out of the middle of the back that is how they do it.

Or maybe an octopus - that might explain the "snag". Had one of those buggers convinced I was snagged until I reefed him out of his little hidey hole.

Will that's a good first report mate. A blow by blow account of a typical day on the water. Good that you did catch some fish and a few squid. It's always a good day when you're out on the water for over 10 hours and something is happening...albeit not fitting in with your perceived plan. Better luck next time. Neil

Will that's a good first report mate. A blow by blow account of a typical day on the water. Good that you did catch some fish and a few squid. It's always a good day when you're out on the water for over 10 hours and something is happening...albeit not fitting in with your perceived plan. Better luck next time. Neil

I went out in botany bay and had a similiar day

Took 3 hours gor 4 bait squid, send them down and got Two undersize kings, tried spinning, plastic but nothing

Went home empty but still better than stay home

Had to go early because valintine day

7 am to 2 pm all over botany bay

Cheers

Xsite