Friday 19th report

boattart

After 2 unsuccessful trips with Demipounce on my boat we were hoping for third time lucky Friday. We ventured out on a mates 42 Riv Wasabi and were greeted by some average seas but managed to raise a short sighted Black around the Peak that had a couple of cracks but not even break the band. The water in close was warm but green so we headed east towards Browns. Over the shelf the water went blue and got up to 26.8 and shoals of flying fish started to show but the current was raging to the south at around 5 knots. Right on Browns around 1.30 the rigger kicked and a nice Blue around 140kg started to do his thing and after just under an hour we manged to release Max's first Marlin. I think a weight was lifted off all our shoulders. As we reset the lures and I wrapped the band on the shotgun another Blue of similar size grabbed the lure and ripped it out of my hands and was also released 30-40 minutes later.

The water out wide is near perfect but with that big current running will stand up quickly with any breeze and don't even think about it if the wind is from the south but hopefully as the current eases we are looking at a good season.