Transducer issues

krause

Hi all,

Damn transducer delamonated off the kayak. Need to remount. Shellys all clear hasn't held against the hull flex of transport. Looking for a substitute to goop as i cant find it (western sydney). Thoughts on sikaflex 291? Anyone familiar with the product?post-31570-1456439369291_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys

Literally just went out and bought this myself yesterday for the exact same problem. Mine is still setting so will let you know how it went avoiding bubbles etc. Also might be worth double checking where the straps will go across the yak before installing the transducer.

Hi guys, so after two days of letting the sikaflex set I've given it a test run today. I experienced a clearer image then when using normal silicone and the sikaflex does appear to have made a better seal/grib with the kayak. It supposedly absorbs a lot of vibration so hoping that won't be an issue, I did suspect heat to have played a part in my delamination with multiple 40°c days and leaving the kayak on the racks (not a good idea) but after the heat today I checked to see if the silicone was any softer or more brittle and no difference whatsoever. Will let you know if the thing does come out again though.

Ads

Thanks mate, I think the heat and vibration plays a big role in the delamination with the allclear, i find that it debonds when the kayak gets warmed up to around 40 or so degrees and some water gets in making it humid inside the hull. A small bump from anything in the hull would delodge it. Let us know how the sikaflex goes! Hopefully itll be the goods :D

Biggest issue with any silicon type product will be adhesion to the stuff they make the yaks from. Silicon products won't go brittle by their very nature but you will need to remember that they will very easily peel off any substrate that is very smooth or dirty. Buy the smallest tube possible and do some peel tests before deciding on a final product. Sika has a good range of industrial products. Look for one that can be used with fibreglass or painted products. I've seen it used in rail industry to bond fibreglass panels together and that is subject to some insane vibration and weather.

Cheers Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents :)

I pulled mine apart. Holy #### it was not unstuck. Infact quite the opposite to it, it was held in like nothing ive ever seen. Anyway an hour and a bit later it was out, massive air bubble under the bloody thing, don't know why it ever worked.

So if you want to know how to get it stick with all clear i know how, you've just got to avoid the bubble i entrapped....

Ive now reapplied the transducer using the sika product, looks good. Reading well in the pool, though so did the all clear first time round.

I think any delaminating with any of these products is purely down to hull flex and a lack of flex in the adhesive. All clear isn't solid but it is rather ridgid. I think high heat adds to natural hull flex or creep, which might cause it to debond. But i don't think the heat messes directly with the all clear.

So yer, awaiting a chance to properly test it :)

We didn't have enough fingers crossed boys....went out again today and it's delaminated again (this time sikaflex) starting to think my issue is due to too much water getting into the hull and then vertually steaming the transducer out of place. Vibration played no part in this and I can definitely say it was not the heat as the yak was in the shade since installation. Better luck with your projects guys!

We didn't have enough fingers crossed boys....went out again today and it's delaminated again (this time sikaflex) starting to think my issue is due to too much water getting into the hull and then vertually steaming the transducer out of place. Vibration played no part in this and I can definitely say it was not the heat as the yak was in the shade since installation. Better luck with your projects guys!

I realised that too, first two times it came off was when some water got in and it became really moist and steamy inside after a long day. This is becoming a big issue for through hull transducing :'( maybe its time to get the marine goop, but I havent found any in the sydney area :(

J B Weld. An epoxy that will withstand the elements. It does not move so maybe it's not applicable.. It'll fix everything else..

You'll find many uses for this glue.. About $15 for two-part 50ml tubes..

TC.