I've joined the kayak crew

W4z

I bought a kayak a week ago and after a quick trip on Friday to get a feel for it and figure things out I put in this morning on Port Hacking to take it for a fish. It was so peaceful being on the water at first light, gliding along with barely a sound. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Started out trying to catch some squid but couldn't find any. Need to find some new squid spots now that I can't move around the system so quickly and easily to get to my normal squid spots. Spotted a small bust up and flicked metals for no luck and they quickly moved on. Rounded a headland and spotted a very familiar boat three or four hundred metres away and paddled over. There was my mate anchored up in my king spot. Exchanged stories of no luck so far. My mate handed me over a live garfish and I already had a poormans downrigger setup ready. I was circling around just chatting with the boys when the rod with the garfish on buckled over. The fight was over pretty quick and up came a little Kingfish. I was stoked to have landed my target species as my first fish off the kayak. I paddled over to my mates for a quick photo then release him. Wish I had taken a better camera with me but to be honest I really didn't think I'd get a king on the first trip out. Didn't measure him but I reckon low 50's.

post-33500-0-06377000-1459054382_thumb.jpg

After that all I got was one pinkie. Told the missus I'd be back by 10am, but only checked the time once and it was 9.52am so made a quick run back to the ramp. Was really hard to pull myself off the water.

Hope everyone else has done well over the Easter break!

Cheers,

Waz

Well done. The Hobie yak is great, zip around no effort, no noise, don't spook the fish, great for sneaking along the edge of the water flicking SPs as well. My mate takes his Hobie mirage far out into the open ocean chasing snapper, don't think I'll be doing that for a while though.

Thanks for the replies guys

Nice! Time flies when you're on the yak. :)

Glad you're enjoying it. There's a few of us on here who are quite active. Shout if you want partners!

Well done on the yak mate! Subscribe to my thread in kayak crew to see if anyones getting out for a sesh :) keep the fish coming i say

Cheers guys, it would be good to meet up with a few people and get out for a paddle. At the moment I'm just fitting in a fish whenever I can, with an 8 month old at home it can be hard to make time.

That is pretty cool. I have been trying for over a year and only managed a legal tailor! Live bait is the way to go... Clearly!

It can be tough mate but keep trying and you will get onto one! I was lucky enough to catch my first rat the first time I went offshore with a mate. Then it took me 3 years to get a legal sized king after that. Live bait is great but you can also just cube pillies and throw out an unweighted pilly cube and catch them that way. I have been planning on doing it that way but haven't got my anchor sorted out yet.

Welcome to the dark side champ [emoji14]
How good is the mirage drive!
Very nice work on getting a kingy first shot!

Thanks mate. The mirage drive is unreal. I was tossing up between an ebay special and a hobie for a long time. So glad I went with the hobie.

Well done. The Hobie yak is great, zip around no effort, no noise, don't spook the fish, great for sneaking along the edge of the water flicking SPs as well. My mate takes his Hobie mirage far out into the open ocean chasing snapper, don't think I'll be doing that for a while though.

Yeah most of the way back to the ramp I was flicking SP's under pontoons, had quite a few hits but only picked up a small snapper. It was really enjoyable. I wouldn't mind trying offshore one day, but it will be a while before I venture out that way.

Cheers,

Waz

I good tip would be to not use the long hobie rod holders but welcome to the crew

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the ram mount one? So far I'm just using it as it came. Can you put up a pic of what you use? It's all new to me and I'm sure I will be fiddling with things over the next few months

Are you talking about the ram mount one? So far I'm just using it as it came. Can you put up a pic of what you use? It's all new to me and I'm sure I will be fiddling with things over the next few months

Think they may mean the Hobie rod holder extension tubes. Get the reels up away from the water. I made the mistake of putting my 30lb rod in one with a live bait on & it nearly got pulled out. Better off just making some out of PVC tube.

These days I only use the Hobie ones for storage and have Scotty holders mounted up front.

Another tip is make sure you leash EVERYTHING. Many don't worry till they lose something expensive in deep water.

Think they may mean the Hobie rod holder extension tubes. Get the reels up away from the water. I made the mistake of putting my 30lb rod in one with a live bait on & it nearly got pulled out. Better off just making some out of PVC tube.

These days I only use the Hobie ones for storage and have Scotty holders mounted up front.

Another tip is make sure you leash EVERYTHING. Many don't worry till they lose something expensive in deep water.

Yeah I've been meaning to look into some rod holder extensions. I will measure and see if I can use some conduit, thanks for the tip. I was unsure about bigrods comment as he said to NOT use the long hobie rod holders.

Leashes are another thing on my list. Do you guys just buy all your leashes? Could be expensive as I can imagine I might need 6+. Any other suggestions?

Hi mate, were you out again in the hacking on Tuesday? I think I might have seen you at the entrance to southwest arm. I was in the olive hobie. Nice catch and keep them coming!

Joe

Bunnings have some bungie type cord that you can cut up and turn into leashes. That is what I have done.

Same - some carabiners, bungie cord and heat shrink tube - made a set of custom ones for rods and other tools.

Yeah I've been meaning to look into some rod holder extensions. I will measure and see if I can use some conduit, thanks for the tip. I was unsure about bigrods comment as he said to NOT use the long hobie rod holders.

Leashes are another thing on my list. Do you guys just buy all your leashes? Could be expensive as I can imagine I might need 6+. Any other suggestions?

I use a length of bungy cord with a stainless carabiner secured in a loop at each end with a couple of cable ties. Secured to rods with para cord.

Youtube and the specific kayak fishing sites are excellent sources for info when it comes to making stuff.

Leash it or lose it! Not proud to say I've lost some good gear over the side. I have a milk crate with rod holders attached behind me with the stretchy leashes you get from the big chain fishing store, and I use bungy chord with carabiner for my net. Only rod not leashed Is the one I'm using and I've got a scotty powerlock holder which secures it nicely

My dad and I were fishing the wharf at Patonga once and watched two yaks head out, one loaded with a very large gentleman and riding low in the water. They came back a while later and the big guy was clearly struggling, and the back of the yak riding even lower. About 50m from shore he capsized (calm conditions, so I assume he was taking on water or just badly balanced somehow). As the kayak was righted everything was missing off it - multiple rods, gear bags on the back - all gone. Once they got the kayaks and the big buy back to the beach the other guy went back out diving for the gear but in the fading light he couldn't find it.

Leash it or lose it!