Brisbane Water Blue Swimmers

kiwicraig

Thanks Brew, that's gold. What publication is it from? Might need to find a copy :)

It's called Modern Fishing Giant Fishing Map Book. It covers Qld, NSW & VIC. I think they stopped printing them in the late 80s or early 90s.

Ive seen heaps over the weekend of what appears to be unlabelled crab nets used in brisbane waters. Just doubled check DPI and it is illegal. "Closed to all nets & traps except dip/scoop net, landing net or bait trap"

Are crabs being over fished are they?

Ive seen heaps over the weekend of what appears to be unlabelled crab nets used in brisbane waters. Just doubled check DPI and it is illegal. "Closed to all nets & traps except dip/scoop net, landing net or bait trap"

Are crabs being over fished are they?

Ive seen some there also, I generally take them out when i do see them. I hate when people break the rules.

I personally havent had much luck with blue swimmers myself but do much better with the muddies.

caught 2 in the woy woy system too from a handline, must admit it was all fluke. Just happens the hook was in the right crevace of the crab and he didnt swim away.

Tasty though. I simply boiled it. The shell was brittle and broke easily. Flesh was salty but fresh and juicy and meat tender.

Wouldnt mind a few more flukes like that.

Why have they banned crab traps? Is there a crab shortage in the system?

There used to be huge runs of Blue Swimmers down at Windang years ago prior to them changing the entrance to the lake. Would be fishing at night on the bridge, get them half way up and then they let go,lol. Also used to be good for small to medium Octopus 'Gong end of the bridge from the footpath. I have a few crap hoops at home and would love to catch my first mudcrab, THEN I would show you guys how I cook Chilli Cracked Crab Singapore style,lol