Lobster Pots/Traps

Brew

Hi Raiders,

Recently I have thought about dropping a lobster pot when I go fishing off the boat at night.

I was a bit confused as when I read the DPI regulations they mention that the traps need escape vents however the ones I have seen in the shops don't have them.

I put the question to DPI and this is their response:

"Thanks for your email and question about escape gaps/vents in lobster traps.

You are correct that the regulations specify the requirement of escape gaps however, as you suggest there is some thought that they are not required.

Currently the Department has a temporary suspension on enforcing that part of the regulations so for now, you do not need to have Escape gaps in recreational lobster traps.

If the Department changes or revokes this suspension, recreational fishers will be informed and an advisory period (usually about 6 months) will be introduced."

I might get myself sorted with a trap for the Hairtail social as I can leave it out for two nights.

Hope this info helps.

Clinton.

I have a metal pot and as far as I am aware the escape gap is built in, and is the whole way round approx half way up the pot, to meet regulations..

I brought mine from complete angler batmansbay and are made by a local.. I been told buy a few shops they should all be legal when sold..

I brought 2 collapse able ones from eBay from a mob in nz and they work and meet the regulations