Broughton Island Report

JA1990

On Good Friday, My buddy and I had planned a run out to Broughton Island. As we both have a get up before sunset attitude and return before the 'day runners' get on the water we were at broughton before sunrise.

Although we were not too sure what to expect as we are not experts, we had encountered a good variety for the morning we were out.

Once we got to the island we commenced trolling with x-rap magnums 20 footers (our secret weapons).

Before too long the exciting long buzz commenced. Although it was exciting to hear, it did not last too long as my buddy was keen to beat me to the rod. (I once fell asleep with a rod and he took it when it went off. Sucked in to him it was a stingray lol).

My buddy successfully landed a bonito around 65 cm mark. I have caught Bonito before but none this big. We used the bonito as bait and I kept a fillet for the BBQ. (I find bonito cooked on the BBQ really amazing)

We caught snapper around the 25cm to 38cm range. We did not choose to keep any of the legal ones as we both like to stick to our needs rather then our limits. Also cant stand frozen fish. Love it fresh haha.

Continueing to fish my buddy hauled in a 55cm kingy which really made our morning. (Paternosta and a bit of bonito bait.)

We watched the sunrise at 7am sharp. Around 7.30 things started to get quiet so we poked our head around the island a bit. Seeing through the crystal clear waters I noticed a big blue grouper hanging out in the water.

By around 9.00am we did the harold holt and made our way back in. We got there in the strike time and left after. I did not want to be hanging out there for too long because as locals would know by about lunch time that strong wind comes and wrecks everything.

Hope you have enjoyed the report.

post-38742-0-41198100-1460431094_thumb.jpg

post-38742-0-11703000-1460431258_thumb.jpg

Edited by JA1990

Looking at your photo I'm thinking your at north rock. A great spot for bonito and kings. You are right in saying that you need to hit the island early before the n/e winds kick in. The snapper are everywhere around the island but the most productive area is south of where you are. Welcome to Fishraider and you picked a beautiful place to fish and place your first report!

Cheers scratchie!!!