How to disassemble this old Diawa reel

Volitan

A neighbour has given me an old reel which he no longer uses. In fact I dont think hes used it for a decade or so. Its a diawa - not my favourite brand but in this case a very rugged reel. I think its about a 10000 in todays terms. I want to disassemble it to remove 20 years of grime and grit. The problem I have is removing the spool. It appears to be held on by this odd shaped nut - 2 flat sides with 2 narrower round sides. Can anyone tell me how is this (carefully and properly) removed? Do I need a special tool? Do I actually need to remove the nut, or is there some other way to remove the spool that I am not seeing ?

In the photo you can see the nut I'm talking about. You can see that its slightly chewed up by my attempts to remove it with pliers and ill-fitting spanners.

cheers

Arron

ps, its not as rusty as it appears - just the way the camera makes it look

post-10394-0-88910200-1461140623_thumb.jpg

Edited by Volitan

Yeah, sorry, it's a spinning reel and that shot is looking down on the spool from above.

I've tried the penetrating oil route. It may work eventually, but I suspect I'm still going to need to give it a nudge. So still wondering whether there is some type of special tool for this

Corrosion X I have not encountered. Is it good?

That "nut" keys the washers to the spool shaft, it's not meant to come off. It looks like the drag washers are rusted badly, lots of soaking and tap the spool gently, I suspect the spool might bend unless your lucky.

Are you saying that the nut and washer should remain there while the spool is pulled over them?

Yep, That makes sense because it would mean that you could remove the spool on the water without undoing any droppable/loosable parts (like tiny nuts). I guess you should be able to just remove the drag nut,then slip the spool off, to deal with a tangle underneath.

There is a little surface rust, which might be what's holding it tight, but most of the brown stuff you can see is dirty brown wd40 which is flooding out from below the spool.

Needs a closer look.

Edited by Volitan

Looking at it more closely, the 'nut' is actually the top end of a thick shaft, with the narrower threaded shaft emerging from it.

Spool, with washers embedded, slip on and off this thick shaft.

A bit different to how spinning reels are made today.

Cheers,and thanks for the advice

Arron