Charging batteries

squidboy

Looking at upgrading to a 24 volt minn Kota. Going to run two 12 volt batteries. Just wondering whether I will need a 24 volt battery charger or will a 12 volt do. Both are the same type, age, condition and capacity of battery. Also wondering whether it would be OK to charge them and leave them on trickle charge together?

Thanks for any help in advance

I can sell you a 24V Minn kota or Motor Guide if your interested? I opted for the motor guide and I run an on board charger which just plugs into 240v when i get home.

Pm me if you want some red hot pricing...

Edited by one armed fisho

Just remember if you have all your electrics and electronics comming off the one 12volt battery you will have more drain and therefore longer charging time than the other 12 volt battery if it is for only running the Minn kota.

What is the charging capacity of the outboard/ inboard motor.

Hey mate,

My .02c comment would be that your Ctek charger @ 15 amps would struggle to charge a 24v system.

They are a good charger but charging 24v will require a charger with a higher amperage output.

You could isolate the batteries by disconnecting them and charge them separately, but this would obviously take twice as long as using a charger designed for 24v.

If I may ask, what is your reason for upgrading to a 24v minn kota?

I run a 12V minn kota with a deep cycle gel battery and have never had any issues with a flat battery or lack of power. I usually only recharge after 3 or 4 trips.

Recently I took the boat out after a 9 month lay off and still had 3/4 charge in the battery with no issues on the water

Interested in your response.

Cheers

Choicebro

I have an 80lb minn Kota and have had it for years and charge it with s C TEK and never missed a beat and the 80lber goes into 20 knots ... Try that with a 55