Lowrence Hook series transducer issue.

JA1990

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

I just installed a new hook 4 sonar and tested it out the other day.

Whilst gaining accurate readings and actually seeing arches I noticed after a bit of swell wash the sonar would flash 1.5ft. I also could not see the bottom. We were only in about 25 ft water. The bad thing is it stayed like this until I turned it off and on again.

Does anyway have any possible theories?

Reference song, Neil young - piece of crap.

You, like me have bought a piece of crap.( EDIT Mines not a hook but I have the same troubles)

You can take it back and get it replaced but the replacement will be crap as well. And you lose all your marks.

I find the best fix for the 1.5foot depth thing is to change the depth range to 10m or so then back to auto so you don't need to do the full shutdown restart that takes ages. I've had mine do the no depth thing while slapping in chop as well as sitting perfectly still in calm water.

In saying the above the customer support line is quite helpful.

Edited by stevefish

Well great to know I am not the only one!!!

I am going to move the transducer a little further to the right and above a bit. I reckon where it is the pressure and cavitation is jamming the pulses.

See how I go. I wonder who else is experiencing this issue.

I did a Google search and found nothing listed about issues, have you given Lowrance a call to pick their brains, maybe send them some photos of your transducer mount and a screen shot of the issue and they might have a solution.

Try "lowrance issues" and you will have plenty of light reading!

I'm fishing Tuesday, I'll get some pics when it goes wrong, feeling confident of completing the task

Edited by stevefish

Ok so I went out this morning and yep it happened again. Feeling disappointed a started to trouble shoot. Restarting was not work nor turning sonar off.

Using the advice about I changed the viewing range and presto... It was working.

I reckon the software is not liking the auto ranging. Perhaps a software upgrade by lowrance could fix the issue. I'm happy I have sorted the issue though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I went out this morning and yep it happened again. Feeling disappointed a started to trouble shoot. Restarting was not work nor turning sonar off.

Using the advice about I changed the viewing range and presto... It was working.

I reckon the software is not liking the auto ranging. Perhaps a software upgrade by lowrance could fix the issue. I'm happy I have sorted the issue though.

JA I have a hook 4 combo, only been out a handful of times since I installed it on the runabout but I had the same issue from time to time. It would also set off the shallow alarm even though I was in 10m+ of water. It would usually fix itself,but when it didn't I found switching the depth range or swapping screen views would resolve. As with the above comments, restarting the devise takes longer than re-rigging your line...

Keen to know if the re-positioning of the transducer makes a difference! Good luck.

I had mine just turn itself off, then it would take ages to restart. Check all wiring and connections, no issues. Did this in calm waters or in swell.

Changed to a "G" brand and it is wonderfull no issues at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bring this up again there was a long email chain with Lowrance and my self. Unfortunately I received a 'know it all' correspondence. I eventually told them that there is nothing wrong with having a fault with their product and its emails like mine that make the product better. They did not want to have a bar of it.

In the end they just wanted to see where my transducer was mounted in a photograph. Not that it would of proved anything as all boats are different.

Their answer was that the transducer was tracking surface clutter and until the reset is performed it will stay like this. Well if that is the case does this not take the purpose away from 'auto tracking'? That is exactly the same as tracking 80ft then all of a sudden to 60ft. In my opinion I think there could an issue with the software. Lowrance believes its the transducer mounting location. I call B/S on that.

If anyone is seriously concerned about this PM me and I will draft up a letter with everyone elses issues aswell.

Re

JA