Mud Crab Traps and Bait Holders

mark10187

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me about what I can use to keep bait in my traps so far I've tried the plastic mesh pouches they didn't last long they got ripped to pieces and bait stolen with no crabs left in the pots once they got the bait. Second I tried thin wire mesh covered in like a hard black plastic that still didn't work they have mangled the mesh and stolen the bait and still no crabs in the pots. Also looking for ideas on how to keep them in the traps I have the 4 entry pots and trying to think of a way to close the entry points enough so they can still get in but not enough for them to get out.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Here's a pic of some I caught last time I was out.

post-10239-0-39757400-1462246075_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bustoff

I use the bait chamber off our lures, they are very strong. We've had a couple of muddies in the traps but mainly blue swimmers and they have held up without any damage. Just catching muddies would put them to the test.

We've sold out of extra large chambers which we normally use, but the large ones would do the trick
http://www.scentblazer.com/Products/tabid/292/ProdID/1207/CatID/143/Chum_Bait_Burley_Chamber_Large_1pk.aspx

post-22587-0-40769400-1462274415_thumb.jpg

If they are plastic it would be pointless if I still had the wire cage ones I'd put up a pic of the damage they done to them. A mate has suggested I use PVC pipe and drill holes in it might run with that idea

If they are plastic it would be pointless if I still had the wire cage ones I'd put up a pic of the damage they done to them. A mate has suggested I use PVC pipe and drill holes in it might run with that idea

they're made from a polycarb, I've got some photos somewhere as well where they've ripped apart a plastic container, sounds like you have plan anyway :)

punctured tins of cat food like squidmarks said has also worked well for us

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

From that photo, it doesn't look like you need too much help with your muddies! You mind me asking which waterways you catch them in?

I can't help you on the bait holder situation. I've used the tins of catfood, but haven't had success yet.