Yamaha upgrade from Johnson

JA1990

Good afternoon raiders,

I am looking at purchasing a yamaha F40. Looks like a good motor. I currently have a 1998 Johnson 50hp I would be upgrading from. What are your thoughts

Anyone have a rough idea I could get for the Johnno?

In good working condition with a number of services recently performed.

This is not an advertisement as it is only research at this stage. I apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

JA

hi

what year is the F40? I'm guessing it is quite new? So it will be around 100KG four stroke verses an 18 year old two stroke which is around 86KG

What boat is it going on and what are you wanting to use the motor for? Older two strokes can be noisy thirsty and smokey, so it can be hard

to compare an old motor with a new one.

good luck!

Do It.Best desision you will make. so quite, No smoke. My Yamaha four stroke has close to 800 hours on it now and has not had a hicup. Never stalled once from the time I hit the Key. You will start trying to hit the key while the motor is running in idle to start as you dont hear them idle. Mine is a F150 so heaps bigger but I love the Yammy four strokes. Will be going on every boat of mine. And my Last motor was a 90hp Johnson Ocean runner about the same age as yours. They are a great motor also but you just cant compare the fuel Econemy, Noise , Smell etc. They are magic

Dave

My johno is really good on fuel, I can get to broughton island and back on 20 litres.

Thanks for the feedback, I have heard nothing but good about the yammys. Pending I can get approved finance and approved by my MRS i probably will go ahead.

I think the 40 will be a lot more powerful then my 50. I think the third cylinder will make a difference. I also believe that 4 strokes will be better for trolling.

This is a question all of us outboard owners will come up against at some stage.

I have a old 2 stroke carbie 200 hp 1986 Mercury which just will not die , such a strong motor , heaps of power yes burns oil , noisey but then again I just love the 2 stroke throb, cannot talk to your mate when under way, heavy on the fuel.

The options I am looking at is either a etec 150, mercury optimax 150, or a 4 stroke 150 mercury,

All have good and bad points , 4 stroke is only slightly heavier, but quieter at mid range and better fuel consumption mid range.

That is where I run most of the time mid range. But at this stage can I justifiy to "she who must be obeyed" the cost of a new outboard ( around 20K)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow anton that video is pretty good hey .from my experiences in all different aspects I have always found 2 strokes 2 have more power as I went from a Yamaha four stroke to a even rude etec I have never looked back I don't rate the Yamaha very well at all just my input though also had an old Johnson 70 hp 85 on my old boat the thing was tough as nails !

I had a Yamaha V4 Salt Water Series 140 2 Stroke. It was a beast, Used a heap of fuel was noisy and stank. It was in premium working order. Upgraded to a Suzuki DF115. Oh my lord what a difference. Love the new motor. It seems to have more power than the V4 or maybe it is the way it delivers it? Hole shot is excellent. I was going to go Yamaha but liked the Suziki dealer. My research proved to me that all the Jap brands are a winner. Best thing is to pick the most competent dealer or one you want to be a customer of.

Was a big decision when I did it and a lot of umming etc and wife was upset about me wanting to spend so much money on the boat.....again. But even she is happy we did it. Go 4 Stroke and leave the stink behind.

Working as a Marine Mechanic I tend to have a bias towards Yamaha, although I have worked at a Yamaha dealer and haven't had much to do with ETECs.

We used Yamahas on all of our workboats, from 2-stroke to 4-strokes, and each stood up to all the torture we put it through. From towing boats, to WOT from cold and even the odd ding on the bottom. At one stage it was replaced with a 4-stroke Mercury which wasn't as reliable as the previous Yamaha outboards.

I smell a little bit of sales pitch in this video: https://www.youtube....h?v=tZvIw83uZgY although I am happy to be proven wrong. I'd really like to know what propellor size and pitch was installed on each motor, just to confirm it was a fair comparison.

I don't think you can go terribly wrong with either brand, and provided it's fuel injected you'll be fine - just keep up with the maintenance and pick what you like the best.