Slide Baiting For Kings and Jews

JohnTheFisho1

Thanks again Crossfire63. A few more questions please:

- What size of sinker do you find sufficient for beach slide fishing? Do you use sinkers other than grapnels?

- Are there any issues to get a live bait down to the end (brass ring) for beach slide fishing?

-What hooks types do you use for beach slide fishing? Are the circles ok? I presume there is no much chance to set the hook properly in the fish unless the slider is locked at the end.

Thanks again Crossfire63. A few more questions please:

- What size of sinker do you find sufficient for beach slide fishing? Do you use sinkers other than grapnels?

- Are there any issues to get a live bait down to the end (brass ring) for beach slide fishing?

-What hooks types do you use for beach slide fishing? Are the circles ok? I presume there is no much chance to set the hook properly in the fish unless the slider is locked at the end.

I generally use 5, 6 or 8oz Gemini or Namix Breakout Sinkers depending on the surf conditions.

I use Black Magic KL6/0 hooks or Mustad Big Red 7/0 and setting the hook generally isn't a problem.

I see, thanks for explaining that Xfire.

I envy you being able to cast so far out. I guess the big rods help with that but I can only get about 50m with a 9ft rod.

Mike, I assure you that if you are only casting the grapple sinker out your casting distance will greatly increase.

Think about your normal beach rig, in this case your casting distance would be restricted by a combination of high casting weight and increased resistance from your bait/ rig.... There are a lot of casting videos on the tube that could help you with technique, but you'll be pleasantly surprised how far you can get out past the breakers!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest123456789

I wonder if you could use a star sinker and just use crane swivels to slide the bait down the mono....

Those slider rigs and grapple sinkers look expensive.

Guest Guest123456789

Gravity? How do you stop that occurring?

Also I think a brass ring would be needed instead of a stopper knot and maybe 1 metre of 20lbs to the sinker would be better as that should break if snagged and also keep th fish off the bottom.

You can give it a go, I don't think it will work and your live bait will just swim back at you.

The design of a slider is to stop that from happening.

And if gravity will prevent the bait from swimming back wouldn't that mean that all fish would be stuck to the bottom

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks x fire you're absolutely right the bait will float on the surface. So that would necessitate weight on the sliding rig somewhere, or is there another option?

Feel a bit like Wylie Coyote trying to catch the road runner lol

Thanks x fire you're absolutely right the bait will float on the surface. So that would necessitate weight on the sliding rig somewhere, or is there another option?

Feel a bit like Wylie Coyote trying to catch the road runner lol

Certain Slide bait rigs are designed to prevent swim-back, provided you setup your sinker leader to be lighter than your main leader, you will at worst, loose your lead. Good luck mate.

I use to use this at at Brown Rock to catch some kings. The depth of the water there is 5-7m. Would cast as far as possible then clip on the fish and let it slide down. Yes it swam up and down BUT it works. I got reefed once by a big King to the rocks to the right where people sun bake nude. Good set up where there's sand and your on a medium height ledge. Mind u this was 8-9 years ago. You can really see when there's a big fish cashing the bait, the rod tip bouncing then bam

Edited by General Zod

Buy the sliders, the swivels tangle. Ive tried them before. I know crossfire uses mono, but like you i use braid. Make sure tie fg knot is tidy otherwise it will tangle. Im yet to catch using this, but am slowly learning what not to do.

Goodluck