Wondabyne Failure

antonywardle

I catch the train to Sydney and every day I look at Wondabyne and thing what a nice spot for a fish

so on Sunday, I decided to go there. I hopped on the train, got off at Wondabyne and started getting setup

on the pontoon. I turned around and saw a sign that said, No fishing. Bugger, so I packed up and thought

about heading to the water. A local turned up and told me it was a rail corridor and that the last person he saw

fishing there ended up with an $1800 fine so back to the station I went and I went back home.

Slightly annoyed because there were a heap of Mullet jumping so maybe there was something out there. Looks like you can only

fish there from a boat. Still it was a pleasant sunrise and the trip was good. First time I've ever got out at Wondabyne too.

I'm thinking that next time I feel like trying that, I might go to Cowan and then walk down to Jerusalem bay.

Anyone fished there from the shore?

Mate I fished Wondy about a year and a bit a go. We filmed our third episode of Beer bush and boats there. Can be found on youtube or google. Great fishing. We were anchored at this one spot during Low tide casting plastics. We got onto about 20 Flattys and 12 Well over legal!! We went home with 3 Good keepers for dinner. There are plenty in there. Most of what we caught were mothers as well with hopefully plenty of eggs! They were really fat.

I went there last year in Oct long weekend caught only 1 Flatty which I released. Although I was very surprised to see Wake boats tearing up the shallow water. I thought it was an 8 knot zone but it doesn't matter.

Be alert that it is very shallow water is some sections. I recommend an electric motor to push. I had my motor tilted when I was up in there. Next time I go there I will take a canoe I reckon.

Edited by JA1990

Mullet creek can fish really well or a donut, good spot is straight out from the station about 3/4 way across, also around the oyster leases, but be real carefull in your boat, most of the leases are in real poor state.

Either way it is a nice place to fish. There is no speed limit in Mullet creek, so you sometimes get the jet skies up there but not to often.

The wake boats are always an interesting show, although it makes me cranky I have to share a shallow pristine fishery with helmsman on wake boats that drive like they are supreme navigators. To be honest I like things that fail due to negligence and stupidity, It is always a great show!!!!.

Edited by JA1990