Shire Maps for checking possible spots in Port Hacking and Woronora

Gunsmoke

I mentioned to a couple of Raiders at the Soft Plastic Day today that on the Sutherland Shire Council webpage there is a feature called Shire Maps. Might be useful for checking out a few spots with a bit better detail than Google Earth IMO.

If anybody wants to have a look at it, here is the link; https://mapping.ssc.nsw.gov.au/Sutherland/

Land based fishos will discover little known access to spots such as below Bell Place Burraneer, which puts you right on the edge of the Gunnamatta Bay channel opposite the Darook Park sandflats. Hope this helps.

Thanks Jewdreamer. There is a lot to look at on Shire Maps; the Maianbar Sandflats show a lot of detail on the current image as one example. Tossing soft plastics into Fishermans Bay on an afternoon low Spring tide has worked for me and is my favourite land-based spot in the PH. As soon as the tide turns the little rays start to get active and that seems to indicate that the flatties are going to start biting. I have always preferred tossing in from the Northern edge over the weed beds. Not a good place for hardbodies though, as the broadleaf weed will hang on to their trebles and not let go. I first fished there using the old Mister Twister plastics that the old guys my age will remember fondly. The flats are excellent nipper grounds. Gunnamatta Bay is a no go as pumping is banned there and the flats at Grays Point are too much hard work for me and nowhere near as productive as Maianbar.

If we look at the rocks in front of Neil Street Bundeena, you will see that the land boundaries of the houses there do not extend to the waters edge, so it is public domain. A bricklayer mate of mine used to fish there during the week on wet days instead of going to the pub with the rest of the boys. He did well there.