Catching Mullet for bait

GordoRetired

Non tidal. Non trout.

Max 2 lines with 2 hooks.

Salt water. Max 4 rods with Max 3 hooks

Except

6 hook jigging line and lures.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cheers, I'll stick to the two hooks it seems to catch plenty anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Here are details of a rig I have used for mullet where you need weight to cast a bit further. I have caught mullet from small poddies to fish over a Kilo using this set up.

Cut about 2 inches off a round dowel the size of a broom handle. Paint this white and screw a small eyelet in one end.

Tie 2 or 3 short droppers in your line and tie 2 or 3 small size 12 or 10 hooks to these and finally tie white dowel to end.

I haven't tried this but you could alternatively try half a sabiki bait jig with dowel on end instead of a sinker.

To fish this you burley with bread pieces with squashed bread dough for bait on hooks. The dowel gives casting weight and mullet are attracted to white dowel thinking it's bread and find baited hooks. It is also worthwhile trying chicken for bait as it stays on hook better and some days will outfish bread.

Keep line fairly tight to keep baits near surface. Good Luck

Using a small bit of dough/bread on a tiny regular hook, not a long shank, thrown out unweighted to sit on or around the surface using the lightest gear possible is a fun way to catch larger poddies (around 15cm). I do this in the lake sometimes when the bream or whiting are off the bite. Had some catch some air while hooked occasionally too.

• 1 month later...

Didn't have much luck on Saturday probably because the weather was wet and wild on the weekend.

Another problem I had was the the current kept dragging the float inwards and all the small bream were taking my bait.

Might try again this long weekend, Gordo when are you heading out there next maybe we can meet up?

Hey Whisky, Sorry for the delay in replying, been overseas for a few weeks. I was going down most afternoons, just back from my trip yesterday so probably start doing the same again next week. Usually after lunch some time and leave when I either get bored, run out of bread or it gets dark. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Harold,

I used to fish at that very same Liverpool weir after getting the train to Liverpool and walking across the rail bridge. (And jumping off it in the summer for a swim). Would be 46 years ago now.

Same rig and bait as you. Bread under a float on a handline, sometimes with a flour n water dough mix. Would fill up on 30 plus cm sea mullet.

Cheers for the memory lane adventure,

Kymbo.

Edited by kymbo

When I was a kid, and that is a very long time ago, jagging was all the rage. Down at milperra it was nothing to see dozens of people having a go. Lost count of how many people I saw with hooks stuck in their legs, hands and face. I can recall going to the casualty ward with a mate who had one stuck in his eyebrow.

We have caught our share of mullet over the past few months but gee they are hard to get. Dough on a small long shank hook with a tiny float is the only way that works for us. The most frustrating part is you can watch a giant school swim past and none of them will look at your bait.

Harold,

I used to fish at that very same Liverpool weir after getting the train to Liverpool and walking across the rail bridge. (And jumping off it in the summer for a swim). Would be 46 years ago now.

Same rig and bait as you. Bread under a float on a handline, sometimes with a flour n water dough mix. Would fill up on 30 plus cm sea mullet.

Cheers for the memory lane adventure,

Kymbo.