Fat crab but no kingies

dlvbw

Wary of the pretty ordinary weather forecast a couple of mates and i decided to hit the hawkesbury early Sunday. Loaded the crab pots and launched at Mooney Mooney.

Pretty slow fishing on the low tide but one respectable crab on the first check....in the deepest pot set.

Weather was looking much better than predicted so dropped the pots off halfway to pittwater and headed to west head. Picked up some livies and began dragging them around the headlands and bouys. Unfortunately no takers and nada on the sounder. Picked up one tailor on a blade and lost half a livey to another tailor.

Headed back up river knowing we might have some destroyed hoop nets as the soak had been way longer than normal. We were pumped to find a few total horses in our pots, much bigger than any other crab i have caught in the river (see below on a dinner plate). Picked up 7 in total with one pot containing 3 angry crab. Stoked!

Next time hopefully we will also hook a kingie.

Cheers

post-8757-14647661274469_thumb.jpgpost-8757-14647661371563_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hey mate. Two litre milk bottles do the trick. We also use a double hoop to give more weight and less chance of floating away if we get the rope length wrong on an incoming tide. They were delicious.

Guest 4myson

I'd rather a feed of Blue swimmers over Kingy anyday !! But you just cant beat the fight of a KINGY !!! Try the moored boats around Pittwater on first light for some kingy action ....

Hey DIBVW

Couple of questions if your happy to contribute as I also crab that area.

Tide was roughly around 1 m between low and high that day(during daylight).

1)Did your traps see it through the high tide? I normally only plan on either side of the high but saw a report earlier when I guy went better on the bottom of the tide, which to me had always been lest productive?

2) I use 1/2 bricks cable tied to the bait which seems to act as a better anchor as most problems I have found is weed dragging the traps. Is it weed you find as the biggest issue and using double hoop as the fix?

3) The triple crab trap did it have a female crab in it?

4/ When you mentioned deep ...how deep? I have seen some traps set mid hawke's in 17 metres and I always wondered is it worth it?

5) Bait? My preference has always been blackfish or mullet. Your Thoughts?

6) How many traps were set?

Thanks

Hey mate. Happy to share with a fellow crabber....

1. Traps were in from the mid incoming to just after high. Normally though we crab over the high tide. Seems to be a lot more productive. As i said normally max soak of an hour or else they destroy the nets. This time it was a 3 hour soak as we got distracted by livies....as you do.

2. Weed can be an issue for sure.

3. No females. 4. We often set in a metre or two of water but the big guys came from about 12 to 15 metres along a drop off. 5. We used pillies but usually we use frames from a prev trip. Fresh mullet is usually good too. They are scavenging so anything with a scent works. 6. We had 6 pots between 3 of us. Unfortunately lost one..... Cheers.

The Blue Swimmers are on at the moment 2 weeks ago we dumped 4 pots at spot x went for a flick came back 6 hours later, one pot had 10 blue swimmers in it!! Ended up with 22 across the 4 pots, we put the smaller models back and took 8 home for a feed.