Big Eye Trevars in Forster

Adsy91

Just got back from a little prospect around some of the oyster leases around Miles island after work.

I am officially kicking myself for not bringing more gear...

First cast I missed a hook up for what I thought was a decent taylor but my s.p still had a tail to my suprise so I cast back and worked the 2" paddle tail at a medium pace past the leases and over the flats before I received a solid knock on the end of the rod. Line peeled off and my kayak began to tow towards the leases before my line got wrapped around a pylon, thinking quickly I flipped the bail arm and got the line free before working the fish back towards me. When a 35cm (estimate) big eye trevally surfaced and began grunting away.

96820c3f43270d685eb63a4d5375e883.jpg

Beauty I thought as I watched the shoulders of countless more fish breach the surface feeding on small poddy mullet and baitfish.

What followed was an hour and a half of non stop trevars literally a hit every cast some hooking up and others pulling the pants off my lure.

Over the hour I ended I lost count of how many I caught but I can tell you I lost some absolute monsters. On my 2500 Caldia with around 6lb of drag on (I never use this heavy a drag) my line was absolutely screaming off and I could see the surges of water as these fish made their attempts and succeeded in avoiding the net. My estimate would be at least 50cm...I've caught a lot of trevally around the 40cm mark in winter on the Central Coast but these fish had way more power than those ever did. Can't wait to get back out there after work tomorrow and try nail the bigger guys! Will post some shots if I get one of the big guys.

Thanks to the members who gave me a few pointers about the area but I'm surprised none of you mentioned the trevars! Now we kniw hay!

Cheers

Ads

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well done ads! All trevally punch about their weight. It's actually a daunting feeling trying to pull them out of structure. If you land one around 50cm from the leases is a massive effort! Good luck tomorrow!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I was back at it again today, optimistic that the fish would be feeding in the same place at the same time but also aware of the flakey feeding patters of pelagics.

As I paddled closer to the mark I was met with a pod of dolphyns that seem to visit the area daily to make my trip a little more interesting. A little closer still and I could see baitfish jumping out of the water...a very good sign. Excitement set in and I sped up my paddling before finding a pylon to sit on, keeping my feet on the kayak to keep it from drifting away (who says you need an anchor!).

First cast I missed a few hits on the retrieve, with the tail still in tact I knew I was in for another good session.

What proceeded was another cracker session with about the same number of fish landed (and lost to my demise!) However the size of the fish were a little better today, none of which went under the 40cm mark.

I can't be certain with limited experience with northern species but I believe today was a mix of bigeye and a few juvenile GT as well.

Here's a pic. of one that had me guessing if anyone wants to chime in!

c29c166f9abc763c34e2b8600161d690.jpg

A great way to end a week of work away from home and whilst I'm keen to get back home to the missus, I really wish I had more time in this beautiful part of the world to nail a few more.

As always thanks for reading and tight lines to all!

Ads

Guest 4myson

Well Done Mate !!! How good is it to return to the same spot & find the fish still there the next day .....

Well Done Mate !!! How good is it to return to the same spot & find the fish still there the next day .....

Couldn't believe my luck! Especially when it was forecast to rain the entire week we were up here and haven't seen one shower!

Mate pretty sure they aren't big eyes. I've got southern latitude big eyes in Queenscliffe lagoon in Sydney and yours look different. Big eyes have distinctive white tips on their anal fins, different head shape, slightly longer bodies and, hence the name, very big eyes in proportion to their noggins. Yours. at least the second one, I'm pretty sure is a different type of tropical-sub tropical trev. Maybe even small GTs, brassy or tea leaf trevs. Awesome catches!

Mate pretty sure they aren't big eyes. I've got southern latitude big eyes in Queenscliffe lagoon in Sydney and yours look different. Big eyes have distinctive white tips on their anal fins, different head shape, slightly longer bodies and, hence the name, very big eyes in proportion to their noggins. Yours. at least the second one, I'm pretty sure is a different type of tropical-sub tropical trev. Maybe even small GTs, brassy or tea leaf trevs. Awesome catches!

Yeah right I thought it looked a bit different to the bigeyes I'd seen but I'm not sure about tea leaf, from what I've heard they're a pretty distinctive looking fish.