When and where to take the kids fishing

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

Just wanted to know raiders thoughts on this subject. What age is good to start? land based or on a boat? good species to chase? freshwater or salt?

im thinking better to target smaller, easier to catch species. Maybe dart and whiting from the beach. That said i am saving for a boat and also keen to hear about other raiders views in this subject.

Cheers.

Luke

My kids are 4 & 6 and I generally fish in the woronora for whiting fromy little boat, use long shank hooks, small sinker and fresh squid strips , peeled river prawns, nippers or worms will all get hits , my kids say " daddy look bang bang" which keeps them interested , hire a Tinny from como marina and get out there preferably a sunny non windy day. there is also a wharf at the marina safe for kids, if u need any info pm me for spots around bonnet bay and como

What age??? Soon as they can hold a rod in their hands. All four of mine have been fishing as soon as they could. I think the important part about taking the kids is that THEY catch fish. It's hard to lose your ambitions of catch something decent and remember it's about the fun they are having. They don't care if they are squire, slimies or yakkas!

One day out with the youngest, I caught a nice 5-6kg jew whilst he was catching slimies. He came home told mum "I beat dad, I caught 8 fish and he only caught 1." Good boy!!!

They all still really enjoy coming out because they know they'll catch something!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sorry but to add also, make a fun journey of it for them. I still try too, by making a picnic out of it. Stopping fishing to have some snacks and chocolate etc. remember their attention spans are only short and they are not addicted yet like us!

In summer up here at the end of each trip, we moor up somewhere, put on our life jackets and jump off the boat to cool down!

But the most important thing of all.......... No matter how many tangles you undo, don't get the shits! It's making you a better fisherman! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Gday

I've been taking my little fella out on the tinny for almost 2 years now and he just turned 5.

Usually fish the woronora and he bloody loves it.

I got him interested for the first 6 or so trips by hooking up on bream, flatties ect myself and then free spooling giving him the rod and then flipping the bail arm and asking him if he got anything.

It worked a treat and making it fun by having a picnic and stuff definitely helps big time

I don't have kids yet but I can tell you that my grandad would take me out fishing while I was in a pram.

He would let me hold a little rod and sit me at the edge of a wharf still in my pram.

Sometimes he would just stick the rod in the pram.

It's one of my earliest memories. Him jumping up from his seat to grab my pram as a big bream almost dragged me off the wharf.

Edited by Budzsta

Guest 4myson

What AGE ??? Me & my son were born with a rod in each hand!!!! ... LOL... The earlier the Better (any excuse to get you more time on the water fishing) I've got some cracking photos that I still look at of my kids fishing fishing trips !!

Edited by 4myson

Guest Guest123456789

Guys thanks for the tips and stories, think I know how to go about it now. So far I've just taken my 2 year old fishing for poddy mullets in the lake using a trap. Now my wife takes her mothers group down in the warmer months and they have a ball catching them. Funny thing is the kids naturally release all the fish they catch unharmed. The look of wonder when you bring the trap in full of fish is priceless.

Guest Guest123456789

What age??? Soon as they can hold a rod in their hands. All four of mine have been fishing as soon as they could. I think the important part about taking the kids is that THEY catch fish. It's hard to lose your ambitions of catch something decent and remember it's about the fun they are having. They don't care if they are squire, slimies or yakkas!

One day out with the youngest, I caught a nice 5-6kg jew whilst he was catching slimies. He came home told mum "I beat dad, I caught 8 fish and he only caught 1." Good boy!!!

They all still really enjoy coming out because they know they'll catch something!

Cheers scratchie!!!

8 slimies Beats 1 Jew- lol that's gold :D