Lures and rust

savit

HI All,

I started from HB fishing, then moved into Soft Plastic fishing, then, after a while, I noticed a growing dark red mess in my HB lure boxes.

Just wondering if you can suggest the efficient way :

a ) to clean the HB lures/hooks from existing rust and corrosion

b ) to keep them from rust and corrosion.

Thank you

I wouldn't bother trying to maintain the current trebles, singles and split rings, just replace them.

If you wash and dry your lures after each use you shouldn't have any corrosion issues.

I agree with washing and drying anything before it goes back in the tackle box. When on the water and switching rigs, all the old rigs, lures etc go into an old ice cream tub and are washed, dried and packed away once we get home.

I also keep packets of silicon beads in all my tackle boxes (the ones you get with all sorts of new purchases especially electrical ones) and put them in a low oven occasionally to dry them out. I'm not sure if they still work the same way, but it used to be when they were dry they were clear and when they turned blue they had absorbed moisture and need to be dried out again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do the same as tastee. I never put used lures back in straight away until they have been washed.

I also lightly coat the lure box with innox. Just a light spray over it every 2 montjs or so. Never seems to have a negative effect on the fish.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Guys, thank you very much for the suggestions.

It is a really good idea to keep the used lures separately until they are washed and dried.

I had a look on other forums - people are usually suggesting WD40 or soaking in vinegar to remove the existing rust. I want to clean them first before making decision what and where should be replaced. Not sure yet whether this will put the fish off or damage the lure plastic .

MateJu

Just throw the rusty bits away. Its a waste of time trying to clean them

In future wash them down in fresh water and let them dry before you pack them away.

Hooks should be replaced after a couple of trips anyway unless you know how to sharpen hooks because they wont have a decent point left on them

MateJu

Just throw the rusty bits away. Its a waste of time trying to clean them

In future wash them down in fresh water and let them dry before you pack them away.

Hooks should be replaced after a couple of trips anyway unless you know how to sharpen hooks because they wont have a decent point left on them

What he said..

I do the same as tastee. I never put used lures back in straight away until they have been washed.

I also lightly coat the lure box with innox. Just a light spray over it every 2 montjs or so. Never seems to have a negative effect on the fish.

I use innox and it helps with getting rid of corrosion as well as preventing rust.

They come in a Food Grade formula which is safe to use on hooks, knives etc

HI All

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I did not get a chance to get Inox as was busy with fishing during the long weekend (or whatever you may call this process in the dirty water)).

Just out of interest I soaked a dozen of lures in vinegar over the weekend. Obviously it did not fix anything, however I was able to see how thin the metal became. 85% of rings and trebles moved to rubbish bin - as predicted.

Here are some more questions please:

1. Some rings, seems, are not touched by rust/corrosion . Why is that? Are they likely made from some special metal?

2. Are freshwater trebles good for estuary fishing?

3. Red trebles, seems ,are resisting better to rust. Is there some explanation?

4. Is there good place to buy small trebles in small bulk - 50?

5. Do you wash Soft Plastic after fishing?

6. I read somewhere in the past that is suggested to keep a piece of wool or small sponge with some oil in the lure box to reduce the humidity etc? Do you know anything about it?

Here are some more questions please:

1. Some rings, seems, are not touched by rust/corrosion . Why is that? Are they likely made from some special metal?

May be stainless split rings

2. Are freshwater trebles good for estuary fishing?

They will be OK but may be less well protected from corrosion than there salt water counterparts

3. Red trebles, seems ,are resisting better to rust. Is there some explanation?

They have a coating on them - possibly an alkyd resin coating or japanning process that offers some degree of protection.

4. Is there good place to buy small trebles in small bulk - 50?

Your local tackle shop should be able to help you

5. Do you wash Soft Plastic after fishing?

Not usually as they have been pushed on to a jig head and if left in place will expedite rusting of the hooks, so you take them off - but if you want to wash and keep them, then you will have to be aware that thet have allready had holes made in them. Short answer dont bother with this as they arent that expensive anyway.

6. I read somewhere in the past that is suggested to keep a piece of wool or small sponge with some oil in the lure box to reduce the humidity etc? Do you know anything about it?

Struggle to see how a piece of wool or sponge soaked in oil would reduce water vapour in the atmosphere in your tackle box - you could perhaps wipe your hooks / rings with it, but you would want to be sure that it does not create a scent that would repel fish.

Cheers Blood Knot

Agree with 1-4.

5. I do wash mine, anything that comes off, either on or off the jig head, gets a rinse before being dried and put away. Good point regarding salt water between the jig head and plastics for those left on, but the heads I use appear to have a coating and I have not had issues here. As said they don't last that long in any case.

6. This is why I use my silicone beads. I don't know if they work, but I don't have any significant rust issues so I will keep using them.

Regards, Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tastee

Blood Knot, Tastee - thank you for answering my questions. I started to rinse the lures after use. Just wondering why trebles and doubles rust faster comparing to single hooks - they are supposed to be made from the similar materials.

Blood Knot, Tastee - thank you for answering my questions. I started to rinse the lures after use. Just wondering why trebles and doubles rust faster comparing to single hooks - they are supposed to be made from the similar materials.

Singles have one point to drain the water off where as trebles have areas that the salt water would get stuck (around the join of the hooks)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Singles have one point to drain the water off where as trebles have areas that the salt water would get stuck (around the join of the hooks)

Reckon the rusting trebles is about some glitch or quality ctrl issues in the pickling, neutralising or plating process (no expert on their process - just my guess). But have noticed those nickle plated trebs seem to be the worst culprits.

Cheers

I am not really suprised about rust in trebles as those are welded hooks (lots of processes involved etc), however doubles are single-piece hook like single hook. I did not wash hooks (my fault), however quite often there was no much difference in hook condition whether it was no-name, halco or some other brand lure/replacement hooks.

Interesting responses guys, I know very little about metals...probably should have waited for one of you guys to respond first! [emoji5]

I also don't usually have a problem with rust...my lures end up in oyster leases and snags all too often I'm afraid. That or a big tailor/flattys mouth!

I carry a small plastic container filled with fresh water with me when I go out, each time I swap lures they go into the fresh water. Then when I get home I simply take them out and leave them to air dry (saves rinsing when you get home plus by that time the reaction to the metal from the salt water may have already started). Just don't leave them in the fresh water too long as they'll start to rust in there too (eventually).

I've found cooking oil spray on the hooks once they've tried helps to ward off rust as well. Might even do the same thing as WD40/Inox etc at a lower cost and no chemical residue/smell either.

Marty

Thanks Marty. Some people think that WD40 is the best fish attractant since Kerosene times.

Is anyone using silica gel desiccants bags (small shoe packets) in the lure box?

I understand that it will not wash the lures however may prevent excessive moisture in the lure box when changing lures frequently on the beach close to the water or in the rain (I love challenges).

Like many others have suggested, I replace any rusty hooks and split rings. I generally have a small container of fresh water in the boat to rinse the lures in, and then leave them in the sun to dry prior to putting then away. Seems to work most times.

• 6 months later...
Guest Guest123456789

You just need to wash stuff after use in fresh water and get all the salt out and every month or too wash and rinse everything in the tackle box or lure case. I don't believe in using lubricants for lures or hooks. 

It also helps to ensure no moisture whatsoever is present and the best way to do this I have found is the method below.

IMG_1221.JPG

I have old water bottles lying around the boat with fresh water in them. Used lures get put on the bait board. Every. Ow and then or change of spot or method I will pour some fresh water over all the lures at the call of "one more cast then move" then they are dry and put in the box before driving off. I carry a fresh water bottle, (squeeze top if I have it handy) and squirt expensive lures and dry them in my shirt before packing away. If it is just a jig head but it's a favourite or the only sharp one left in its size I lick the salt water off it and wipe it in my shirt, then out it away. Using this method most popular lures will be lost before they rust in the box.

Any significant rust (and associated bluntening) leads to replacement. You spend too much time money and effort on a lot of other things to be able to go fishing to start with to justify not spending 50c on a sharp hook. Especially if that hook is a treble on a $10, $20, $30 hardbody. Seems like false economy to me. 

Guest Guest123456789
2 hours ago, savit said:

Thanks flatheadluke.

Any suggestions how to easily clean those hundred-compartments  small tackle boxes/trays  as some of them getting brown color?

Dishwasher