Hairtail Fishing

Wellzy94

Hi raiders! Tried my luck at hairtail fishing last weekend, with a little bit of luck. Hooked a few but lost a LOT more. Any pointers to getting them to stay on the hook? Should I be striking at all, or will they hook themselves with a bit of patience?

I have been fishing for and catching the chrome bars for more than 40 years, in the old days I would use a short fat rod about 5 ft long known as a snapper rod with 20-30 lb line and had great success or hand lines, down through the years I have been downsizing my equipment and now I use what would be classed as Bream gear or perhaps a touch heavier, I believe the secret in catching them is no secret at all and is just do what is needed on the particular night/or day and the particular fish, strike or not to strike is always debated, sometimes they will hook themselves in one gulp other times all you will feel is a gentle lifting of the bait, when this happens I tend to tease them into biting. I have caught them while gigging a chrome lure that you would think only a Tailor would take so yes they do sometimes need a strike.

The only thing for sure I could tell you is use super sharp hooks, weather ganged or single, if single a wire trace is needed sometimes with ganged hooks you can get away without a trace, but make sure you have absolutely no trace of bait anywhere on your line, do not handle your line after handling bait or berley.

Frank

Hey Frank, what do you mean do not handle your line after handling bait?

I think Frank means that if there is some smell of bait on the line, then there is a chance that the hairtail will snip the line.

I think it's similar with leather jackets?

Hi raiders! Tried my luck at hairtail fishing last weekend, with a little bit of luck. Hooked a few but lost a LOT more. Any pointers to getting them to stay on the hook? Should I be striking at all, or will they hook themselves with a bit of patience?

The key is to lift the rod and load the pressure. Do not strike as you will lose more than you land. If you feel a bite, lift the rod up and down slowly. This will entice a stronger bite!

Remember, hairtail feed vertically so striking hard basically pulls the hook from their mouth.

Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!