Cowan Creek

fisho.sid

Hi Raiders,

So a few weeks ago I tried fishing for hairtail at waratah bay using pilchard on gang hooks. Burleyed hard and stayed only till 630 as I wasn't really dressed for the cold.

Saw a bunch of boats and out there, but I didn't get any.

Any body else had any luck?

BTW I had a lot of trouble with the gang hooks wrapping itself onto other lines deployed. What's the usual rig to targeting these?

Do I use a sinker, no sinker or float? Also what depth and whereabouts in the bay are you suppose to fish?

I notice the water is about 15 meters or more in the widest part of the bay near the opening and didn't get anything except for squires and tailor.

Hi Raiders,

So a few weeks ago I tried fishing for hairtail at waratah bay using pilchard on gang hooks. Burleyed hard and stayed only till 630 as I wasn't really dressed for the cold.

Saw a bunch of boats and out there, but I didn't get any.

Any body else had any luck?

BTW I had a lot of trouble with the gang hooks wrapping itself onto other lines deployed. What's the usual rig to targeting these?

Do I use a sinker, no sinker or float? Also what depth and whereabouts in the bay are you suppose to fish?

I notice the water is about 15 meters or more in the widest part of the bay near the opening and didn't get anything except for squires and tailor.

Sounds like you were in the right place. Chasing hair tail can be an all night thing not just an hour or so after dark! Gang hooks are the general method unless you use a wire trace. I always fish with the lightest sinker the current will allow and this should alleviate tangles. Next you need to drop your bait to the bottom and wind up about 3m. Hairtail feed vertically, hence winding your bait from the bottom!

Hope that helps on your next trip!

Cheers scratchie!!!

My son-in-law and I caught 10 about a month ago. I find the best way to eat them is to fillet them. When I gut them I cut out the whole belly section as I find that part of the fish to be a bit soapy. Then I cut them into about 20cm portions which go in the freezer. They are pretty much just back bone so just run the knife from the top to the back bone and then from the bottom to the back bone and the fillet should come away with very little waste. You can scrape the chrome off but I don't bother. I like them battered.

Are Hairtail a good feed? Never heard anything about their culinary standard.

I have tried sashimi and just deep fried.

My personal favourite is to cut them really thin.

Then lay them over a deep dish, sprinkle some scallions, and heat up some oil and pour over them. The oil will semi cook the scallions and fish.

Then heat up some broth or stock that where you can make buy deep frying the bones and boiling with water and season with salt and pepper. Then pour over the thinly sliced fish to finsih up the cooking.

Sounds like you were in the right place. Chasing hair tail can be an all night thing not just an hour or so after dark! Gang hooks are the general method unless you use a wire trace. I always fish with the lightest sinker the current will allow and this should alleviate tangles. Next you need to drop your bait to the bottom and wind up about 3m. Hairtail feed vertically, hence winding your bait from the bottom!

Hope that helps on your next trip!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie!

I'll shall try again and admittedly a few more hours is probably required.

'Winter is here!' So lets hope the white walkers dont come around whilst fishing!

The wretched things can come on the bite at any time but generally speaking most of the action is over by 10.30pm. Having said that last year we had a good run after mid night at Waratah.

Cheers Harold - This should help with my planning.

:horse: