Trolling/jigging/livebaiting Rod

Byron

Ok everyone,

I need some advice on a suitable rod to match with a new TICA Lever drag trolling reel. I have it spooled with 50lb braid and plan to use it for Kings (trolling and livebaiting) as well as other pelagics.

Don't want to spend too much on a rod as there are a number of other pieces of tackle on the shopping list currently.

Please provide thoughts and advice on a suitable rod and anything that I should be aware of in making a decision.

Cheers all,

Byron

Edited by Byron

7 to 8ft Wilson 8 to 10kg. Anything similar. Strong sensitive and will do the job.

7-8 ft is a WAAAAY to long to troll, jig or live bait with on any line let alone 24kg braid and if the wilsons your refering to are live fibres then they are a casting rod so are to soft in the tip for troll/jig and even pushing it for livebaits

byron

There are a few variables to consider like lure weights etc as skirts and big jigs have extremely different weights and performance charateristics so the rods suited for one may well be highly unsuited to the other. As a general guide look for something with quality HD guides right through as rollers and jigs donot go together. lenght around 6 ft- 6ft4in max range and full blown 24kg classes. You will need fast ( avoid V fast or mod ) action to counter your different needs but look for as sensitive a tip as possible.

good luck in finding all that off the shelf cos you'll need it

Edited by allen glover

Cheers Allen/Xtosea,

Just took a look at a Daiwa Powerlifter 15kg rod and it seemed a little stiff, plus had the roller tip.

I think I may need to get you on the job here for me Allen, but let me get a better idea of what I need.

Will give you a buzz to discuss in detail mate.

Good luck at the social.

Byron

if your prepared to put up with breaks in your fishing and a v early start your more than weclome to come along with me to the box social

on the rod front remember if your fishing 24kg braid you need 24 kg rod!

a 15 kg rod will buckle under the strain of something big especially when it jumps on a jig.